My first book scanner.

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: My first book scanner.

Post by rob »

You could drill holes and put in some threaded rod to push against the sides, rather than the bottom... It would also be interesting to have some kind of mechanism where you crank the handle and both sides contract or separate together.

Anyway, I agree with jradi. There's a saying in software, "Always plan on building another." I think it applies to DIY stuff like this!

--Rob
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead »

I finally got time to build my book scanner I should have some photos up later today.
jgaffke

Post by jgaffke »

Would be nice to use both hands to move pages.
Perhaps a foot treadle to lift the platen, a shutter release at the other foot?
DSpider

Post by DSpider »

Props for the awesome graphics and for the cradle design. But wouldn't a... simpler approach be better ?

In my opinion, as long as the page(s) are kept flat and the camera steady, the mechanical part isn't nearly as important as the camera.

Speaking of which, what brand and model are you planning on using ?

Edit: I'm asking because I'm also having a hard time finding one that:
- is USB powered (well, as long as it's not using AA batteries. Powered by an AC adaptor is also fine)
- can be triggered by USB (if not by external remote at least by keyboard)
DDavid

Post by DDavid »

I have 1/2 of a cradle like this on my kitchen floor and will finish it
tomorrow.
The design for this scanner seems to be using glass glued to the moving
parts. I'm thinking that a lot of stress seems to be concentrated on the glue
joint to the glass and the glass itself. If using acrylic with screws that would
not be as much of an issue.
Just thoughts from someone who has not finished a scanner yet.
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

Sorry i haven't posted in awhile i have been trying to finish up the scanner before school starts up again.
Attachments
P1010616.JPG
P1010616.JPG (146.54 KiB) Viewed 9493 times
P1010615.JPG
P1010615.JPG (162.8 KiB) Viewed 9493 times
P1010612.JPG
P1010612.JPG (131.38 KiB) Viewed 9493 times
P1010611.JPG
P1010611.JPG (129.71 KiB) Viewed 9493 times
P1010610.JPG
P1010610.JPG (125.65 KiB) Viewed 9493 times
P1010609.JPG
P1010609.JPG (162.55 KiB) Viewed 9493 times
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

I am having a little trouble making the spine support because my drill press needs calibration. I'm just going to construct it a different way.

Ok to answer some questions. The reason i went with the bar in the front is because i want to eventually make it automated. Also i could have made the book supports on a plate to side, but i wanted them on drawer slides so that the glass would alway be in the same place. With the glass in the same place then the cameras never need to be adjusted (well in theory, we'll see if it works ).

I'm not sure what cameras i'm using. I have been looking for web cams because they could be controlled with the computer and it would make life a lot easier, but with more and more research i have found that web cams that are said to be 8mp is in actuality really really crappy. I still may buy one and see. I do have some really good cameras that i have access to but they are not hackable. I was thinking about using a arduino board and a solenoid to push the capture button. We will see if i can rig something up.
myenhdl

Post by myenhdl »

Great design! This one has completely changed what I had in mind to build. Would you be so kind as to tell me where to buy and what kind of sliding rails you're using on the horizonal base and vertical platen support? I have searched all over ebay and Home depot but all I can find are the rails with wheels...which would be fine for the base but not so good when mounted vertically. Thanks!

DJ
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

I got mine from homedepot, but they were not online unless you have a local store selected. They are 14 inch 100 lb full extension, I cant remember the brand. I think they ran me $14. Also, I plan on posting my plans on here after I have got everything finished, and worked out the kinks. But you may not want to wait that long, I take a long time to do anything.
myenhdl

Post by myenhdl »

Wow- can't believe I missed it. Made a trip before work this morning and it was right next to the one I picked up. Thanks!