Monson's Servo Auto Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

jck57

Re: Monson's Servo Auto Scanner

Post by jck57 »

tosborn wrote: have you thought about a way for it to autodetect the end of the book so that you could start it and then leave it unattended and it would shut off on its own?
Found how to specify the number of repeats for the loop. The number of page turns is entered into the script and the machine stops after performing that number of loops. Successfully tested.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

You know what's cool about that... if it misses a page, you would know, because there would be a page left after the cycle stops.
dtic

Post by dtic »

You couldn't be completely sure though. It might have first failed to pick one page and then later on grabbed two pages in one go. (Is there a word for the latter? "overpick"?)

One advantage I can think of with setting the number of iterations manually is that the script could then have an option to notify the users a few runs before it is finished. Some pages at the very end of the book might be stickier than others I suspect so it might be useful in some cases to be able to oversee and perhaps add a helping human finger for those last pages.

I think autosensing the end of the book would be cool though. But very much a luxury feature compared to the other, core stuff the machine already does.
aeturneus

Post by aeturneus »

Since this system is arduino-based it might make sense to integrate camera control via arduino, removing two servos: http://www.circuitsathome.com/camera-co ... t-1-basics

Wouldn't work for all cameras, but if and when I have time to build one of these it looks like the way to go for my Eos 550d setup.

One advantage would be that images from both cameras could be automatically downloaded and arranged into the correct sequence in the proper directory on an attached PC, simplifying workflow.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

Slip-prone camera arm joints were replaced with finger-jointed laminated Luan. Carriage bolt washers made from 2" fender washers. ID squared with a file; OD cut to make four sharp barbs. Tidied up wiring includes remote switch box leading to under-table power tub containing power strips and power supplies. Remote switches control split receptacle feeding respective power strips. Switch "1" energizes the strip for lighting and camera power. Switch "2" sends juice to strip for servo power and Pololu microcontroller. Switch "2" gets power from switch "1" so shutting off either switch kills the servos. Thanks to my nephew Evan for awesome help yesterday.
Attachments
0205121133.jpg
0205121105a.jpg
0205121105.jpg
0205121104b.jpg
0205121104a.jpg
0205121103a.jpg
0205121103.jpg
aeturneus

Post by aeturneus »

Nice, looks much more stable!

I just have so many questions about this machine, but I'll limit myself to one. What stores do you buy your parts from? Particularly curious about a good source for slotted flat bar and other components of the presser arms, and that sweet adjustable box for the feed roller assembly. Those sorts of things.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

aeturneus wrote:Nice, looks much more stable!

I just have so many questions about this machine, but I'll limit myself to one. What stores do you buy your parts from? Particularly curious about a good source for slotted flat bar and other components of the presser arms, and that sweet adjustable box for the feed roller assembly. Those sorts of things.
That crank thing for adjusting the pusher was part of a clamping work stand from a rummage sale. Most all the aluminum bits came from stock hardware store extrusions. Cut the slots myself.
aeturneus

Post by aeturneus »

jck57 wrote:
aeturneus wrote:Nice, looks much more stable!

That crank thing for adjusting the pusher was part of a clamping work stand from a rummage sale. Most all the aluminum bits came from stock hardware store extrusions. Cut the slots myself.
While that's beyond my abilities, I am guessing a few people around here would love to try and duplicate your design. I'd like to model it in sketchup. Could you post measurements of the metal parts and I can take a crack at it? Pretty much jiust need to know how long the pieces are and how long the grooves are and how far into the arm they are set... Hard to tell precisely from the photos. Or, you could sketch the parts roughly on paper and upload the drawing and I can make something more precise. Just thinking out loud here!
aeturneus

Post by aeturneus »

While I'm at it, how did you cut the steel? A jigsaw or angle grinder or something else?
jck57

Post by jck57 »

aeturneus wrote:While I'm at it, how did you cut the steel? A jigsaw or angle grinder or something else?
I usually use a metal cutting bandsaw or an abrasive chop saw.

Re drawings: right now the whole thing is torn apart while I change stuff and add things so I think drawings would be premature.