Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Last edited by GaryK on 17 Dec 2011, 15:06, edited 4 times in total.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Machining Complete - The build and the differences

Post by daniel_reetz »

Looking at this on my phone just before boarding a plane - what an awesome thing to see. Can't wait to spend more time absorbing your improvements. Congratulations, this is really great work!
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Nice! I haven't gotten as far as you have -- half my pieces are still unpainted. I really like the extra brace you put in, as well as the handle orientation change. I'm not so sure about the replacement of the latches, though -- I kind of like the quick flip of the latches. Then again, it's not like we'd be rapidly switching back and forth.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Last edited by GaryK on 17 Dec 2011, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Last edited by GaryK on 17 Dec 2011, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

extremely orry for the delay - I've been working on this, and it's eaten me alive. I'm actually in NYC right now to install it.

I think all of your changes are excellent, particularly the bracing and use of carriage bolts/nylock nuts. My sole concern is the glass channel.

Basically, the problem as I see it is that when the book comes up to meet the platen, it could catch on the sharp wooden edge that extends below the glass. In my version, there is only glass. Obviously, this doesn't affect Paperback Mode.

My feeling is that between this work, and Rob's labeling, (and maybe one self-adjusting cradle design), we have this thing nailed. I would love to roll these changes in, or just call your version of the artwork canonical, and release it in the coming weeks.

Congratulations on an excellent build, it is really fantastic work and you have no idea how cool it is to see from my end. Cheers!
aeturneus

Post by aeturneus »

GaryK, can you post the artwork for your build? I'm looking to make one of these up soon and would like to incorporate your changes.
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Last edited by GaryK on 17 Dec 2011, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
aeturneus

Post by aeturneus »

GaryK wrote:
aeturneus wrote:GaryK, can you post the artwork for your build? I'm looking to make one of these up soon and would like to incorporate your changes.
Here's what I have so far. There is no fixturing to do the bearings on the opposite side of the part though.

It's broken down in to smaller pieces pieces since my CNC is small. There are pictures showing what parts each file includes.

I am working on the trigger part right now so I will do a complete update when I am done.
The attachment CRV Files.zip is no longer available
Any chance you could export these to DXF format? The shop I am working with uses DXF and it would definitely help me save some money.

EDIT: Figured out how to do it myself, see attached.
Attachments
Scanner DXF Files.zip
(319.04 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Last edited by GaryK on 17 Dec 2011, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.