Daniel's Work Thread: Toward a Hackerspace Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Daniel's Work Thread: Toward a Hackerspace Scanner

Post by daniel_reetz »

VCarve (my CAM software) has some nesting features, too. I can see it being useful on sheets full of the various odd parts I can't fit on these other sheets. Will give it a shot. Here's another simplification I finished this morning.
simplification2.jpg
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Got my X-axis home switch installed. Now for Y!

http://www.danreetz.com/blog/2012/03/11 ... m-crp4896/
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

I think the original reason we wanted to have a tabby thing sticking up out of the front support was so that you could put a bolt rather than a screw through it. However, I would love to find a source for those clasps that you used, and specify those.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
rob

Post by rob »

Those rectangular parts seem very close together. What holds them in place while they are being cut? Are you using tabs or holddowns in the parts?
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I still have the thing there, it is just longer. That could be adjusted. The clasps I used are real expensive - $10 each. I'll look for a cheap alternative.

The parts are all 1/4" apart - the idea being to use big tabs to connect them. I know this could be trouble, I'm hoping to keep that to a bare minimum with good, smart toolpaths.
Qanthelas
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Qanthelas »

I'm not entirely sure just what help I could be, but I think this project is awesome and I'd love to help if I can. Are there still some parts of the design you need some brainstorming help on? Perhaps some help scouring hardware stores and the net for cheaper parts?
rob

Post by rob »

Qanthelas, help is always appreciated! The list of hardware is maintained here, so if you can find other outlets, please add them!
jck57

Post by jck57 »

Got my dual cable brake lever from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO ... 00_details. A 7/8" OD pipe fits the lever perfectly. 3/4" CTS (Copper Tubing Size) pipe has an OD of 7/8". CPVC plastic pipe has the same OD as copper tubing. This is the yellow stuff: http://www.geoplastic.com/images/f41475 ... d98f6f.jpg

PVC pipe (the white stuff) comes in Schedule 40 dimensions; 3/4" PVC has an OD of 1.050".

I can only vouch for the plumbing standards in USA. They may be the same in Canada and some other places but I don't know for sure.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Well, it's been weeks since I've posted, but I've been working constantly on my machine and my setup. Today after ANOTHER full day of work I finally have some things worth reporting.
  • 1. The e-chain system on the CNC router has been completely reworked and replaced. Previously it was jury-rigged and wouldn't work for production. Took forever to get the right size e-chain.
  • 2. The spindle is properly programmed. Turns out I've had the wrong settings the entire time. Now I've got an RPM output as well. Also now running proper shielded spindle cable. Even so, the whole machine is incredibly electrically noisy. Makes my radio rigs go crazy.
  • 3. The router can home itself in X and Y. This was the big accomplishment today. I still have to get some more cables/sensors to do Z. Not quite sure how I want to implement it in the machine controller (Mach3).
  • 4. The bed has been routed so that a piece of plywood will set in the same place everytime.
  • 5. I re-programmed Mach3's homing buttons to accommodate this new setup, minus the Z axis.
I've decided to stop working on production efficiency and start helping Rob by producing a couple units a week. Production efficiency can happen as I get annoyed with inefficiency. I have slightly revised artwork relative to Rob, so I need to do the programming for that this week. The first few scanners from me are reserved for the Paper Upgrade project, which is run by mellow_yellow.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »