I completed my first full scan of a book with my carboard box training rig...
The Canon SX20is is running CHKD and I've put together a remote using a momentary pushbutton (Maplins,UK), a 3 AA battery holder and clip (maplins, UK) and all spliced together with a USB cable and some odd bits of wire. The switch is housed in an old film container.
I got a nice big box, sliced and spliced and reinforced with glassfibre tape. I used some Scotch 3M spray to stick some black card to the right hand side. I also made a "belt" of card to tuck the left hand side pages under (the test was a paper back, but no dice with a hardback!).
The tripod is mounted using a scrap piece of wood (with two holes drilled for the front two legs) and clamped to the bench (not shown here).
The glass "platen" is from a picture frame and has a "handle" made from 1/16 inch ply, some square softwood and a wedge of balsa underneath, all held together with 5 minute Epoxy and then sprayed black. I added an A4 black card to the end with scotch "Diamond" tape to mask the left hand pages.
I noticed a lot of the fancy designs have the two book cradle halfs moveable relative to each other for different sized books, and on some of the cardboard box designs, they're split along the "hinge" line. What I've done, is to find a range of "V" (and other) shaped inserts of various sizes (mostly balsa, some carbon fibre rods and off cuts of soft wood mouldings) here's an example:
These are now to be officially referred to as "V-serts"....
Any ways, for the first runthrough with a book (160 page paperback) I used a small 1/4inch balsa triangle. The view from the camera (no zoom applied) is:
I got through the book in several sessions on Saturday evening. There were a few problems with each component: camera, USB remote, glass platen, the book cradle and it took way too long!
Getting the USB remote to work with CHDK and the Canon SX20is was a long-winded affair, and the main problem being the WIKI page that shows it all working with one 3volt CR2032 battery. Just couldn't get it to fire, then found some references to trigger voltages being >3.4volts, added an AA beneath the CR2032 and then it worked (and which is why it's using 3 AAs)! In use the camera tended to fire at times when I wasn't even holding the remote (during page changes), not at all sure why this was happening.
The black card at the end of the glass plate seemed a good idea at the time, but it didn't help hold the pages down and after initial tests the 4 inch wide belt was added. I also used a blank page underneath the right-hand page being photographed. So all this meant that changing pages was way too slow and long winded. I also needed to tug this a bit to flaten off the LH pages.
The lighting was a big variable, started off in the garage with a single Halogen task lamp and natural light and ended up in the dark with two halogen task lamps and the fluorescent strip light on.
The "Homer" suite of software worked flawlessly and after processing the images in Scan Tailor my first book was done. Whoo hoo! There are a few (five or so) duff pages (the text looks 'bold'). There's a lot to sort out, but this was a great training and educational run. The top priority is now making a proper V-shaped platen and making the page turning much slicker and more reliable and quicker. So it was off out tonight to get some 15 x 10 inch glass etc etc...