Eye Fi and book scanner

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

Gerard
Number of books owned: 0

Eye Fi and book scanner

Post by Gerard »

Hi,

does someone use eye fi sd cards? i have two for testing.
the problem is in my canon a495, they wait ~10 seconds after a shoot before they start to upload (the cam have to be 10 seconds idle)
my idea was to get the images processed (with preview) while shooting

do i making something wrong?
stevede
E-book readers owned: IBM x-41 tablet
Number of books owned: 200

Re: Eye Fi and book scanner

Post by stevede »

I love my Eye-Fi cards. They are absolutely fantastic and I am thinking of giving them to my brothers next Christmas. They are not, however for instant previews. The files you are generating are whoppingly large and even with my gamer computer uploading is dependent on the card's transfer rate. There are other methods for preview to choose from, and opinions on what is actually useful to you. Search "preview" and you will find lots of alternatives. I think most will work along side the Eye-Fi.
stevede
E-book readers owned: IBM x-41 tablet
Number of books owned: 200

Post by stevede »

you know, I might have been a little hasty when I said that Eye-Fi was not for previews- depends on how fast you want to see them. It turns out that if you choose "Camera settings" for each of your cards, (you have to plug the card into the downloading computer before changes) you can check a box called "Enable Direct Mode". This gives you latitude regarding the ready state of your computer.

I timed download from camera to screen at 15 seconds and that was 4.8 MB through our wireless router. Unfortunately, Eye-Fi does not seem to like my IBM laptop. cheers.
Drake Ravensmith
E-book readers owned: Kindle 3

Post by Drake Ravensmith »

I don't know if you saw my build but I had a similar idea. My eyefi cards tend to have a ten second or so delay which makes their usefulness at odd with the ability to scan something fast. I think it would be really cool if someone could come up with a program that would let you take a pic and instantly process it but in reality I think it would be impractical because of the time involved. I think a live preview of taken pics is still too time consuming. Still, it's doable so maybe down the road.

http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=1028
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Drake, can the Eye-Fi cards just store the images and transfer them later, or do you really have to wait like ~10 seconds for the pic to transfer before shooting the next one?
Drake Ravensmith
E-book readers owned: Kindle 3

Post by Drake Ravensmith »

Oh you don't have to wait for the pic to transfer before taking the next one. You only run into a delay like that if you're trying to go super fast. I ran a book through at normal speed and didn't run into any camera delays. I did get a couple of pauses when trying s_fast mode but that was only testing the function, the cameras weren't even on the scanner at the time. I would think that the time spent turning pages would negate that.

If you want to use a second set of screens to view the finished output as you're scanning... Well, the delay from pic taken to pic displayed is enough to ensure that you're not paying close attention. The book I scanned still had four missing pages (probably from two pages sticking together during turning) and a number of slightly blurry ones. I haven't futzed much with the software yet so I couldn't say how bad they were but I guess the lesson is not to be a speed demon. I think the second screens would only be useful if you're scanning a book with pictures and you're worried about the color or maybe if you're scanning something with faded text. I'm beginning to think I was wrong and that it would be more useful to use the hi res screen for the cameras but I'm not planning to scan anything but text so...