LED Lighting systems for book scanning

All about lighting. LED, CFL, Halogen, Other? Questions and info about lighting go here.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: LED Lighting systems for book scanning

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of an update -- what do you want in terms of a description of what I'm using now?
charlies
Number of books owned: 0

Post by charlies »

If your previous LED posts cover it, I'm good.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I used a nearly-identical circuit, adding an arduino for timing. The big thing I learned was the use of mirrors. I'll share a diagram later -- for now, these Crees and this circuit/power supply are really good. You can see the results in the thread I posted over in Book Projects.
Misty

Post by Misty »

Are there any off-the-shelf solutions incorporating sufficiently bright lights like the Crees? I don't have the electronics skills to build the circuit you mentioned earlier, and don't have access to someone who does, but I definitely think that LED would be the ideal lighting for book scanning.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

To my knowledge, no (and I have looked pretty far and wide). But if there were enough demand, I am certain we could have a batch of boards/LED banks made up, as a community.
Misty

Post by Misty »

That's definitely something I might be interested in, if that happened.

As far as halogen/CFL bulb replacements go, would something like this be unsuitable? http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/ind ... warm_white
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I doubt it, given the other experiences people have had with these lights that contain dozens or hundreds of 3-5mm LEDs. However, are you able to buy one, or one like it, and try it? I think Wal*Mart sells some lights like that one. I bought one and it was crap, but things may have changed.

Sorry I haven't been around much, and won't be around much, for the next few weeks. My lab at work -- and my thesis experiment -- are being torn down because of a totally unanticipated construction issue. I have spent most of my days and nights trying to get things moved, get space, etc. Things are not looking good.

Post by newbie »

Hi
Just wanted to indicate intention to purchase if available led lighting system. The Atiz indicated that their led model produced a better result on glossy paper? Have you found this to be true? When I looked at
the the original circuit there was a nand gate at the front end but I thought it had to be driven low to get a positive out put eg 5 volts. I once had a night school class in digital logic but it was almost 20 yrs ago . If there was a little more description I might be able to follow it through. I will understand if this is too obtuse to warrant a reply.
Thank you.
Michael Vachon
PS Had trouble with login hence used my wifes email to create new account.
polau

Post by polau »

any detail about the lighting panel of atiz bookdrive pro??
rustyhann

Post by rustyhann »

I've looked over the diagrams for the lighting circuit (in this post and in the 3rd gen scanner post) a hundred times and I still can't make heads or tails of them. Would it be possible to post a complete diagram of the circuit, or something as simple as a 'this wire here, this next wire here' diagram? For me this is the make or break point in building a scanner. I understand how the circuit works, and why, but actually building it is what is tripping me up. Thanks for any help.

- Rusty Hann