LED Lighting systems for book scanning

All about lighting. LED, CFL, Halogen, Other? Questions and info about lighting go here.

Moderator: peterZ

myenhdl

Re: LED Lighting systems for book scanning

Post by myenhdl »

daniel_reetz wrote: Do you have any experience with board layout software? That's one thing I've been thinking would simplify this for everyone. A PCB and a parts list would probably solve most problems.
By board layout software, do you mean software capable of drawing circuits? I've been using Multisim in school to test circuits- I can draw it but will have to find a way to label all the parts. Maybe print and photoshop after- I'll look into it.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yeah, I'm thinking something like Eagle, that will let us make a printed circuit board. That way we can just order some for new people who want LED lighting.
DDavid

Post by DDavid »

Daniel this may be of interest.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Printed ... ser-Cutte/
There's also the old school method but it would be worth buying the supplies for small
quanities.
http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/06/24/pho ... d-process/
myenhdl

Post by myenhdl »

Also, we can etch copper circuit boards using a laser printer and some chemicals. There's a whole tutorial on hidplanet on this...we may be able to mass produce some circuits if we demand it.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

My friend Enrique and I have pretty good process for using the laser to make PCBs. If we can get one designed, I can make a small batch for us to play with. But if the demand is high (say, 10 or more units) it will make sense to use an online service.

I've also done it the laser printer way, with reasonable results. Have a laser printer and chemicals. LASER POWER.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Saw this MOSFET today -- real cheap, real powerful. Seems like it might work, though I haven't looked at the datasheet. I'm going to be building another lighting system for my new portable scanner, so I'll probably end up picking some of these up at some point.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/p ... ber=G17460
IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead »

Have you looked on ebay because I thought I had seen like 10 for $4 a little wile ago.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hell yes. I found the original board layout. Please let me know where you guys are at on this!
LED_Board_Layout_20100315_002.jpg
LED_Board_Layout_20100315_002.jpg (283.1 KiB) Viewed 10161 times
wels

Post by wels »

daniel_reetz wrote:Yeah, I'm thinking something like Eagle, that will let us make a printed circuit board.
Some time ago, my father pointed me to a new free alternative to Eagle which is called DesignSpark PCB.

pro: It's free and is supposed to provide features available only in the commercial Eagle version (e.g. larger board sizes, more layers, etc).
con: Although it's free of charge, you have to register somehow, to activate it. (The program is powered by a large European distributor for electronics and mechanical components)
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm up for using anything -- as long as someone will use it. I do have a new design file done by my friend Enrique which I will post with my laser-cut/waterjet scanner.