LED Flash Device for New Build?/LED flash on iPhone....

All about lighting. LED, CFL, Halogen, Other? Questions and info about lighting go here.

Moderator: peterZ

univurshul

LED Flash Device for New Build?/LED flash on iPhone....

Post by univurshul »

I'm building scanner #3 & #4:

Book Scanner #3 will be a 2x camera, full platen build for robust, high-output books scanning, similar to my first 2 builds. I'm looking for a device that will power up LEDs when the camera trigger is fired, then shut-off the LEDs after each capture. The LEDS need to mount on a canopy from above instead of pointing directly at the platen like the cameras do.

Book Scanner #4 will be a minimalist-designed, iphone 4+ (or future iPod w/LED flash). I'm working on a dock-connector app that allows remote firing from the Macbook Pro. No on-rig displays for this build, ultra-thin materials, portable, collapsable, recyclable, and powered by a fold-out 55W solar blanket (pictured).--The solar-fold-out panel can lay outside on the deck and charge a new unibody Macbook Pro under full sunlight--fact. The Macbook can power the iPhone, and with an LED lighting option--or LED onboard the iPhone, I'm beginning to think I can scan books off-grid. We're really close to having less technology bulk with increased quality. That's primarily why I like Apple products with the applications of book scanning integration. Despite the latest rage and hype of the company, I personally believe they still focus on well-enginnered designs which could lend to how I build hardware that is low-fat and well made.

I have 1.5 years experience with household LEDs in my apartment but I really need to wrap my head around adequate lumens, unified color, power, and cost-effectiveness. I read some debate about lumens and color for LEDs. But I've also seen some improvements in the industry and some LEDs are inexpensive and powerful. What LEDs should I consider? -- If at all possible, I'm more inclined to buy USA-made.

Send me your facts, opinions and criticism. I'd like to hear every idea before embarking on my next builds.
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (71.8 KiB) Viewed 6379 times
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (147.12 KiB) Viewed 6379 times
Last edited by Anonymous on 26 Jun 2010, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
benjamin

Re: LED Flash Device for New Build?/LED flash on iPhone....

Post by benjamin »

How are you powering the lights? Are you using the 110v mount in the picture? Wondering b/c in the automotive (12vdc negative ground) world you'd use a standard relay (aka Bosch relay). Grainger sells 110v a/c solenoids, but I've never used one so no idea what the input volt/amp requirement might be. Sure a hardware hacker with more experience could point you to the perfect part number at Mouser.

Either way the concept is the same- the high-draw/current switch is turned on as long as a smaller "trigger" current is present.

If you want to go totally solar, I wonder if there'd be a way to DIY a fiber optic solution. Probly too expensive.

Alternately it seems kind of kludgey but maybe you could grab a photovoltaic sensor light fixture, wrap the sensor in weather stripping, put it up against the ipod and use the flash or a white screen section as a trigger. Harbor freight sells a 2-pack for around $8.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm looking for a device that will power up LEDs when the camera trigger is fired, then shut-off the LEDs after each capture.
Have a look atmy LED lighting thread for my input on the topic and specific LED recommendations. I'll be re-implementing this system on my latest scanner.

As for a high-power relay that's easy to switch, Ben has it, or you can use a Solid State Relay, which are totally awesome.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

benjamin wrote:How are you powering the lights? Are you using the 110v mount in the picture?
I'm going to power the 3rd build with 110v because I have another set of 12" displays, and the cameras are wall-adapter dependent as well. #3 build should be a great wall-tethered low-powered, high volume build, and shouldn't be too time consuming in terms of assemblage. It will be lighter, but not significant compared to #2. The LED forum thread Daniel has going is intense, from-scratch work. Maybe I'm looking for a rectangle array of LEDs (similar to an LED shop light) that can produce somewhere close to 1500 lumens as a canopy above the cradle.

I'll be on the main LED forum thread after this post.