DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

Post by daniel_reetz »

Karyudo wrote:
What sort of glass specs are needed? (For example, size, thickness, tech specs on toughness, brand name, etc.?)
1/8" or 3mm or "double-strength" glass, available at any hardware store. I'm going to do some testing on mitering/beveling this weekend. I'd recommend buying from a picture-frame shop where they could potentially bevel the center of the glass.
Karyudo wrote: Does it just plug into the wall, or is some other power supply required?
The LED light has a 1ft cord on it, and will run on 120 or 220v no problem. It has a US-style power connector.
Karyudo wrote: Will the Canon PowerShot A590iS still work with this evolved design/software?
Karyudo wrote: I don't see why not, but it won't maximize your resolution... which camera(s) is still a question we are solving in another thread.
Karyudo wrote: I guess black paint is recommended, to minimize reflections? (Seems a shame for such nice plywood, but oh, well....) Any recommendations for how much paint will be required, and what type(s) would be best suited?
Flat black latex, I have a brand recommendation coming up. The outside could be varnished or stained, but the inside should definitely be blacked to prevent reflections being a problem.
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Post by dpc »

Congrats, Dan. Getting these kits out the door is a tremendous milestone.

BTW, any details on the included LED light? What's the wattage/lumens/color temp?
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Thanks! Yep, it's a 10W LED, 6500K. Runs from 120 to 220v. As documentation progresses I will post some shutter speeds/sample images.
Fab52

Post by Fab52 »

Hi Daniel,

Happy to see you've been able to get kits out of your shop, this is great, you invest a lot in this adventure.

I saw you modify the marketplace rule...No problem . Rob closed the thread "Makers Meeting Buyers" deleting some of is own post before he lock it.

My question here is, can we still try to get the scanner parts cut by local custom CNC owner and sell it in our state or province or do we need to pay a licence or right to diybookscanner.org to do so ????

I'm confused here by the post about the "Official kit " that can be available in EU.

Sorry Daniel I don't want to give hard time, but please, give all of us who want to promote the scanner clear marketing instruction.

I know none of us will make money in this adventure... This is not the goal, if I remembered right the goal was to spread bookscanner all over the place, no ????

See you,

Fab
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

The DIY Book Scanner is open hardware.

EN: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_hardware
FR: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat%C3%A9riel_libre

Basically, you may do anything you want with the plans and the hardware, for free, as long as anything derived is also released under the same license. If you want to sell DIY Book Scanners, you may do so, and if you make any modifications to the design, you must release those to the community under the same open source hardware license.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

No problem, Fab, all of that is allowed, the license hasn't changed. It is still Open Hardware.

I don't know why you would think I would ever ask for a license fee, but anyway, I won't. This is an open project.

We locked the "Makers meeting buyers" thread because it wasn't working and it was causing problems off-site. Originally we were hoping people with CNC routers would show up and fulfill the demand here. Turns out that only Rob showed up and he made kits, instructions and provided support for months. It wasn't "makers meeting buyers" - it was "buyers meeting Rob". Rob stopped making kits and he and I both got a torrent of email about buying and prices. So it's locked. I decided to produce an "official" kit to keep up with demand.

I will always be transparent as an administrator of this forum. Ask me anything. But we have suffered a lot from the actions of people who want to make a business of selling scanners. We've had PM spam, PM trash-talking and undercutting, trolling, email spam, fake accounts, and people going crazy and deleting their stuff. Most people have no idea about this because we take care of it privately. So if something looks funny, ask and we'l
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'll write about my thoughts on "official kits" later. Its not a fully thought out idea. Basically, we need a way to tell buyers that kts from a particular seller are good quality and will do a good job. Because we are going to have people with little or no experience with actual scanning who will make changes/do a less-than-great job making/selling. At a conference now typing on my phone, sorry for brevity/mistakes.
underdesign
E-book readers owned: iPad, Nook Color

Post by underdesign »

I got one. Looking forward to building it! I'll document as much as I can. Now off to find some glass...
rdx
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-550, Kindle, iRiver Story HD
Number of books owned: 100

Post by rdx »

Congratz!
I'm been lurking around here for years and eventually decide to get an account and say thanks :) I will definitely be buying one and, OMG, my research is going to be so much easier with a books scanner.

R
Gentso
E-book readers owned: iphone, PC, Apple
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Gentso »

What is the largest size book that the scanner fits?

Thank you.

A