Why don't we compile a list of 16mp compact cameras and then do a quickie comparison in one post? I mean, our needs are easy to define.
The perfect camera:
1. Good-enough optics/sensor. (this is a moving target but it leaves out webcams/etc)
2. A 1/4 20 tripod mount hole.
3. Manual settings.
Nice to haves:
4. Remote triggering with no hacks.
5. DC power input. (Marcos outlined some hacks for this)
6. PTP support. (is occasionally implemented in CHDK)
Here's a search that finds many 16MP cameras
. Here's a really nice chart
. Let's get each interesting one, with a picture, in one post and compare on 1-5 (or other features if you like).
When we're done, it will be perfect Wiki-fodder.