The next version of the scanner, 0.9.9, will become available tomorrow night
, Feb 11, 2012 (Eastern Time Zone, GMT-0500). I'm finishing up with testing the construction, found a few errors in the files, so I'll be spending Saturday correcting those errors and cutting the corrected parts out. Once everything is fitted and tests out good, I'll be publishing an updated zip file at the beginning of the thread which will contain AI, DXF, and JPG files for 4' x 4' sheets.I'd like to thank everyone who worked with the previous version of the scanner for their feedback, especially thinkJason.
Your feedback has been very valuable for coming up with this next improved version!
Also, I'd like to thank everyone for their patience while we finalize this next version. We all have day jobs
The improvements over the previous version are:
- Glass mounting no longer uses a groove, but rather L-brackets.
- A small hook is built in to the trigger mounts for easier use of rubber bands or springs (although mini bungee cords are recommended).
- The holes in the trigger are increased to accomodate a 5/16" bolt rather than a 1/4" bolt.
- All holes that are to accomodate a 5/16" bolt are increased to that size.
- Some holes are now slightly smaller than 5/16" where the 5/16" bolt must have a tight fit without a nut. These sites are on the handle, and where the pulleys mount.
- Wooden pulleys are now included.
- A back brace is now included. This will make it easy to move the scanner around.
- Recommendation when cutting the parts to go over the bearing pockets twice is now included (makes installing the bearings easier).
- Both LED and halogen light plates and supports are included, although use of an LED light is recommended. The scanner will not work in paperback mode if you use halogen lighting -- at least, not without removing the light plate and figuring out some other method of lighting the platen.
- Use of a single-cable bicycle brake lever is now deprecated. The wooden parts to accomodate a single-cable lever will still be included, but their use is not recommended, since they will be eliminated shortly. Use of a dual-cable bicycle brake lever, unless there is great opposition, will now be mandatory.
- Full hardware list will be included. This assumes the use of a dual bicycle brake lever.
As you can see by the version number on this one, this version is perhaps a very minor improvement away from an official 1.0 version that can be sold as a full kit. What that minor improvement is, I can't say at this point, since that will require working with the 0.9.9 version to find out its shortcomings, if any.
I am currently working on an instruction manual for putting together the scanner. It will probably take me about two weeks to finish, so don't expect instructions until maybe Feb 27. As always, your instruction manual for putting together the scanner right now is the forums.