Well, after a full day of programming the cuts, I finally got back to cutting wood tonight. However I still have some bugs to work out.
The good news
Using the feed and speed settings
I found with G-Wizard Calculator
, I was able to cut through the plywood in just three passes! So that's really great, it means cutting can be fast. Here's a picture of the edge finish with three passes, .8" stickout, 220IPM, 12000RPM (a bit slower than the actual calcs):
The bad news:
I'm still having angular errors that depend on which way the machine is traveling around corners. Here's a pic. There are about a million things that influence this behavior in Mach3, and I need to systematically chase them down. I thought I'd done that, though - my acceleration is set extremely fast, my speed is about half what the machine is capable of, and the G-code is fairly clean. I guess I need to do EVEN MORE READING. When I cut the first scanner, I was able to cheat on stuff like this - I made cuts with extra lines or cut very slow or whatever because I'd just built the machine and I only needed one. However now that I am doing bulk work, I need to nail this problem to the ground.