Finally finished painting all the parts of mine black, and got around to assembling. Here's pics so far as I move along:
My notes: Since I didn't pre-assemble, I haphazardly painted all the wood surfaces black. Some shouldn't have been painted, and some make tight fits when you try to put them together after they've been painted. The book holder assembly is one trouble area (particularly with the slots), as was the inside where the ball bearings go. I used an exacto blade to cut out any detrious paint from those areas.
Also, as I see it come together, I really can appreciate the amount of time and effort put into the many revisions of the design of this thing. It's gloriously simple, durable, and works smoothly! Great job Daniel!
I started on mine a few days ago, by using a cardboard box to try and paint the parts individually on the apartment porch.
Not so good. So on Saturday, went to a friend's house and laid everything out and painted one side with one can, the edges with another, and the back side with a third. Valspar spray flat black, for an undercoat, and indigo satin. It was much faster doing it this way and they dried faster in the sun.
Were I to do it again, I'd have masked the tongues and notches to keep the paint out.
I started putting this together and had a problem when I got to the handle. The notches were too narrow to fit the parts easily, like in the videos. Part of it was my fault for painting the tongues and notches. I had to hammer in the handle ends tight and it wouldn't have needed screws.
Handlebar right side
Handlebar too snug
But getting to the grip mount, even with stripping the paint, the space between the notches was still too wide. Just wouldn't fit. So the notches themselves were a smidge too narrow and the gap in the mount not quite big enough. Here's where I had the paint off - that would have just fit.
Grip Mount Left - kit fit detail.
Grip Mount Right - kit fit detail.
Got out the flat file and trusty X-Acto and...
Expanding the notch
proceeded to apply some fit to the parts.
Snug fit 1
Snug fit 2
Getting to the part where I put in the bungee pins in the arms and get a hole in one.
Woah, I actually get to drill an original hole in this thing. WooHOO!
A hole in one
This is where it sits, on a handsome tablecloth. Yes, it DOES make it look better. Obviously, there's something to be said for painting it later - just lucky I still have half a can of indigo paint.
Sorry about the fit issues, jtalle - as we discussed, those parts are clearly a little out of spec.
A few things can influence this: 1. Plywood thickness varies about 1/16" even within a batch or within a board. 2. Paint + humidity can change plywood thickness 3. Bit changes on my router can cause the parts to change size (i think that's what happened here - bit flex).
In any case, looks like you've solved the problem well and I apologize for the hassle. I'm going to do two things for future orders - 1. include some sandpaper and 2. double check these specific parts.
I won't paint the machine until after I finish sanding it. The machine has one binding point at the top of the travel of the right cradle arm against the right small support, and I must smooth that. Some of the plywood edges shed splinters. I hate splinters almost as much as I hate painting. I'll apply enough paint to seal the material and combat highlights, stray reflections, and hot spots.
We have a couple of these color meters at work. If opportunity allows, I'll test to see how bright (in cd/m^2) the LED lamp shines at the cradle wings, and what chromaticity it has.