I just thought I'd post some alternatives for those looking for a different end product, or maybe having a problem with postprocessor or pagebuilder.
1. After I take all the photos, I copy them into two separate directories c:\right and c:\left. I rotate these images just by highlighting all images in the directory, right clicking and clicking on "rotate clockwise" or "rotate counterclockwise." This feature is built into vista.
2. I use Ant Renamer to rename all the left pages, starting with page 1, enough zeros for 3 digits, enumerate by 2. I rename all the right pages, starting with 2, enough zeros for 3 digits, enumerate by 2.
3. I use JPEGCrops to crop all the left hand images first. There's a feature called "synchronize crops." I turn this on and load up all the images. I set the crop for the first page and page through the other thumbnails to see if it looks fine. I pay particular attention to not grab too much of the opposing page and limit the amount of border around the page. In general, there's very little variance from page to page, so it's pretty easy to set a single crop zone that will work all the way across.
With really thick books, there's a little drift due to the thickness of the book. For these, I only import 1/3 or 1/2 the pages into JPEGCrops at a time. For the random page that falls out of bounds, you can crop it separately from the rest of the synchronized copies, that's why I page through all the thumbnails to see if there are any that need individual tweaking.
(about 10 min)http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/
4. Then I copy all the cropped images into a single directory c:\both. Actually, JPEGCrops outputs to the "both" directory so I skip this step. I make a random spot check to make sure that my numbering of alternative pages worked, I just randomly look at images to make sure the actual pages are opposing each other. I usually spot check the beginnin, middle and end.
5. Lastly, I import all images into ABBYY Express 9.0 and perform a conversion into "other." I prefer to have my ocr outputted to vanilla text rather than word or pdf. ABBYY does a really good job of keeping the formatting, which I hate. I really just want plain old text to format later.
(2-3 hours per 100 photos - this is an overnight step)
6. I save the output of abbyy to a text file, then I look for warnings. Usually, if there's a page that was out of focus or something, abbyy will tell you that there was no text to capture. I also just quickly look through the images for pages that have very little text to see if abbyy handled them ok. If not, I make a note of those page numbers as well. Then I do a word search of the text file and manually "repair" any problems. Usually this involves manually typing 2-3 sentences per blurry page, always a handful per book.
If I'm paying attention, I usually can skip step 6 by making sure to put a page with text on it in front of the camera during the focusing step. However, I'm usually doing something else (listening to the radio, an audiobook, watching tv), and I zone out and miss some pages...
Anyway, that's my workflow using almost all free software. The abbyy is the expensive part, $50, but you can skip the ocr if all you want is to output to a pdf document.