LED Lighting systems for book scanning

All about lighting. LED, CFL, Halogen, Other? Questions and info about lighting go here.

Moderator: peterZ

Neil_M

Re: LED Lighting systems for book scanning

Post by Neil_M »

This seems like a lot of work. Have you looked at LED work lamps at places that sell tools?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I have looked at lots of other LED lighting, but the spectral output is bad. If anyone else wants to pursue a turnkey solution (I think Univurshul is doing so) that would be great.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

Neil_M wrote:This seems like a lot of work. Have you looked at LED work lamps at places that sell tools?
--It's a matter of customizing your own work and developing your own ideas. Obviously, the path of least resistance can be achieved as well; there are some excellent turnkey LEDs out there.

These are 10w, very compact w/built in reflectors:
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (77.31 KiB) Viewed 8976 times
Attachments
10Watt LED lighting Specs.pdf
(99.43 KiB) Downloaded 662 times
Last edited by Anonymous on 05 Sep 2010, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

And from what I see at the moment: white balancing likely needs to occur during post processing, as most basic digital cameras don't have balancing features of the tones these LEDs produce.

Anyone developed a CHDK script that white balances based on color temp scale?
Neil_M

Post by Neil_M »

daniel_reetz wrote:I have looked at lots of other LED lighting, but the spectral output is bad. If anyone else wants to pursue a turnkey solution (I think Univurshul is doing so) that would be great.
I mostly want gray scale anyway, for OCR and books.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

I've used CFLs for paperbacks that process to black and white. Those are widely abundant, already found in homes. You can switch out with incandescents for the few color scans. LEDs on a edison socket can be purchased as well, giving you the gamut.

Still looking for the silver bullet commercial diode built around an all-in-one lamp. But I think these halogens are worth it too, I say. Just need to mod the white balance, find the right settings....
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

After some thought:

...Maybe the best method right now is to employ temperature filters on otherwise inefficient [spectrum] commercial diodes.

LEE Filters: http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/prod ... 2A50DEA5C/
Attachments
Conversion_Poster.jpg
(236.48 KiB) Downloaded 270 times