Third evening. Today, I finished the platen and the backboard mechanism for pulling the platen up / the column. Here are some pics:
Now that I came this far, I see a couple of problems:
- The whole thing isn't very stable. I somehow need to stabilize the back board holding the platen. The trouble is, I wanted to keep this back board dismountable. I don't have any clever idea to have it dismountable and stable at the same time.
- The platen is _very_ heavy. It is impossible to pull it up and down from the handle. This is so much worse than I expected. I am guessing that is why most other builders of the new standard added some sort of counterweight.
Cutting the plastic glass was really a mess. I don't know how you guys did it. We tried a jigsaw first and the plastic kept melting and the blade got stuck. After that, my father came along with his favorite tool which kind of worked. I'm sure that's not how most people do it though