First build with automatic dewarping

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Hamid

Re: First build with automatic dewarping

Post by Hamid »

As for me, Beta8 seems to be stable: batch processing with automatic dewarping doesn't cause the programme to crash anymore. I would have never thought it was due to the absence of content boxes.Thanks Tulon.
emmerick

Post by emmerick »

Tulon wrote:Here comes beta8: http://depositfiles.com/files/96wxqhos6
No changes compared to beta7, except a fixed crash on pages without a content box.
Thanks a lot man you are the best.
dtic

Post by dtic »

I got a crash with beta8 when autodewarping ~100 pages on a testrun, but missed to submit the error log I'm afraid. Will submit if I can recreate it. A question: the autodewarping takes significantly longer time compared to the other steps. Is that just how it is for this type of processing or do you think it is possible to later get gains in speed once all else (crashing etc) is worked out? I need to know if I should start saving to buy on of the new Sandy Bridge CPUs ;)
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

dtic wrote:I got a crash with beta8 when autodewarping
I am going to need the page causing the crash.
dtic wrote:A question: the autodewarping takes significantly longer time compared to the other steps. Is that just how it is for this type of processing or do you think it is possible to later get gains in speed once all else (crashing etc) is worked out?
I don't know. I haven't looked into the performance side yet.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

@dtic, I profiled the whole program, and the function which takes up the most processing time (by far) is the content-box finding. If I could fluently read C++, I would attempt to see how it could be sped up (I still vote for GPU acceleration :P ). But for now, Python it is.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

May I remind that I still need the source images for reproducing a crash with beta8. I've got 4 crash reports so far, but I can't reproduce this issue without the source images.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
zamacam

Post by zamacam »

I've got a crash using Scantailor 1.0 Beta 8. Here the output available in terminal:
imac:~ david$ ./Desktop/scantailor/_scantailor-1.0-beta8/scantailor
Floating point exception
imac:~ david$
Scantailor was running on Mac OS 10.6.6. I builded it from sources (using up to date macport). It worked nicely on several books since Beta 8 is available. It is the first Scantailor crash I've got.

The crash doesn't happen if I disable automatic dewarping.

I'm attaching the faulty image and the file project.

[edit]: the faulty image is image #290 in the project.
Attachments
scantailor-1-0-beta-8-floating-point-exception.zip
(3 MiB) Downloaded 414 times
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

I've reproduced the crash using zamacam's image and project file. That revealed not just one, but two bugs. I'll fix them soon.
emmerick

Post by emmerick »

Tulon wrote:I've reproduced the crash using zamacam's image and project file. That revealed not just one, but two bugs. I'll fix them soon.
Hopefully the next beta always eager :)))))
jimboh

Post by jimboh »

I see 5 new items committed to the git repository within the last few hours. Are they all dewarping stuff? I don't know the "innards" well enough to know for sure.

One hour later: I downloaded the snapshot as of Sat, 29 Jan 2011 22:30:41 +0000, compiled it with no problems, and obtained the following results with automatic dewarping on a page that was not warped to begin with. The automatic dewarping process warped an unwarped page. I suppose we can just turn dewarping off for pages that are okay, but ... perhaps this shows an area needing improvement. FWIW.

This is the input file:
input.tif
(6.79 MiB) Not downloaded yet
This shows the dewarping "grid" (if that is the correct word):
grid.png
grid.png (794.34 KiB) Viewed 8320 times
This is the output:
output.tif