Trying to size the thing up, I have ran into two conceptual but very basic problems...A: 2 degres of freedom.
This structure gives me two degrees of freedom, allowing to
1) move the camera nearer/farther away from the platen
2) move it laterally to be directly over the center of the scanned page
On this point I have seen wildly different opinions, ranging from 6DOF to much simpler structure where you even can't move the camera nearer/closer to the page.
Do you think this structure has obvious drawbacks I haven't thought of?
Is it too basic in its lack of flexibility?B: Zoom level
The zoom level changes the way the pages are formed. Without having done any practical test, I guess that we have:
- Zooming out gives less (barrel/cushion) distortion but might give less crisp images
- Zooming in gives again less crisp images
- A mid-way zoom gives highest detail in images.
On the other hand, you can't really play with zoom if you can't move the camera closer/farther away from the page, which (if Iunderstand correctly) isn't a problem many feel as important.
For example, here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87#p843
you1 doesn't consider zoom/field of view factors...
What do you think about this? Am I being overzealous?
thanks for any advice.