Heatsinking LED Stars

All about lighting. LED, CFL, Halogen, Other? Questions and info about lighting go here.

Moderator: peterZ

tosborn

Heatsinking LED Stars

Post by tosborn »

For those of you who have constructed LED lighting using the Cree Q5's....how have you gone about heatsinking the stars? For example, what have you attached the stars to (e.g. aluminum bars) and how have you actually attached them? I see available 1)arctic silver thermal compound, 2)arctic silver premium thermal adhesive, 3) arctic alumina premium thermal adhesive, and thermal tape. If you use one of the adhesives or tape instead of the compound, is that a strong enough connection or do you also have to use screws to hold the stars to the heatsink?

Thanks.
Ryan_phx
E-book readers owned: Nook, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Heatsinking LED Stars

Post by Ryan_phx »

I used the tape, and it's very sticky--no problems at all with adhesion. As for the heat sink, I just used two 12" x 1" x 1/8" aluminum bars, with 2 Crees attached to each. I have pictures in my build thread.
hg1027

Re: Heatsinking LED Stars

Post by hg1027 »

I just drilled holes through 1/16th angle aluminum at opposite sides and used #6 screws to clamp the stars down. I wanted to be able to remove them if I changed the light frame and since both parts are mostly flat, it seems to sink ok,