LATEST - If you had difficulty registering recently please try again now we have found and fixed the problem.

Incog's Build Thread

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
incog

Incog's Build Thread

Post by incog »

I just started building yesterday, right now I have my acrylic platen cut (not bonded yet, thats the scary part), my worktop built, some of the base made and hacked up some desk lamps with two AGFA pocket tripods to serve as my arms. I'm reusing the lamps I've sawn off for my lighting rig (waste nothing!) I also fitted the tripods heads so they snap on and off so I can use them with their original legs (although they are too small to be of use).

I am having problems locating Canon Powershot A590 IS's in the UK, the online retailers are out of stock or are insanely priced, right now I'm praying I can pick 2 refurbs up on eBay.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Incog's Build Thread

Post by daniel_reetz »

Congrats on a good-looking start! I see A590's pretty often on Ebay... camera availability is a real problem for all of us. Other members have used other cameras, though. Check the CHDK supported list.
incog

Post by incog »

Still a lot to do. I just won two A590's on eBay from a Canon reseller, but I still havn't gotten the payment confirmation emails :?
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

How did your acrylic turn out?
incog

Post by incog »

daniel_reetz wrote:How did your acrylic turn out?
That bit was just as annoying as I thought it would be, It doesn't like to snap straight, so I have a slight wavy gap in the centre. I didn't bond down the middle of the main platen as the instructable instructs as I was unable to find and bonding agent that would work. I tested plastic cements of all kinds, with and without accelerant sprays and a bunch of other glues none of which worked well. I was unable to find any methylene chloride in all the stores I visited, so I settled on using some pine angle and hotglue to join the 6x6 acrylic squares to the main platen and sacrifice half an inch.

I was able to acquire a 4 foot by 2 foot acrylic sheet very cheaply as one of the corners was cracked and nobody else would buy it, so I have enough left to make another and I've learnt so much already that I know my second effort will be much better. :)
incog

Post by incog »

Really getting somewhere now :D
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

NICE! I love the rack shelving column. That's a really neat idea!
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

The bulbs you use look similar to the ones used in At1z scanner, are they good? Where do I get those online?