We have fixed some issues with the board email system. If you have not received an email for password reset or verification, please try again.

JRadi Scanner Build

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
jradi

JRadi Scanner Build

Post by jradi »

This is Ver 1.0

My major change is that I use horizontal arms instead of the 6DOAA arms. These are pretty easy to adjust and once you have them set you really don't need to do a lot of tweaking.

In these photos, I used a cheap ($10) pocket tripod to hold the cameras and they're velcro'd to the horizontal arms. I found that the tripods didn't hold very steady over the course of a book, so in my newest build I've actually changed to a double L-bracket with a wing nut - cost $2. Sometimes the cheaper solutions are best. :) I'll post the newer bracket soon. I just wanted to show an alternative arm, it's easier to build and adjust, plus I think there's less in the way to reflect light back.

Oh yeah, I covered the arms with some spare drawer liner (instead of toolbox liner I used black drawer liner I found at walmart). The liner absorbs some light and helps hold the camera more securely.[

attachment=0]IMG_0539.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG (34.32 KiB) Viewed 12920 times
jradi

Re: JRadi Scanner Build

Post by jradi »

IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG (29.77 KiB) Viewed 12919 times
IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG (29.05 KiB) Viewed 12919 times
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

John, this looks absolutely fantastic. Your work & knowledge sharing around here are really, really appreciated, especially given the frustration you've had with the software.

I really dig your dual light column setup. In my portable scanner I'll probably be employing something like that.
tsttm

Post by tsttm »

that looks great! i'll may incorporate something like this with the joby gorillapod tripods i'm using now. I'm looking for a more permanent solution than setting them on a couple of stools.
jradi

Post by jradi »

I haven't been around much, to busy reading the books I converted! I'm hitting the road soon for a two week motorcycle camping trip, so I'll really be gone for a while! Hopefully the first handful of books I converted will last me!