A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Kjarrval
Number of books owned: 0

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by Kjarrval »

I've got version 0.9.10 of the scanner and after some usage it was put in storage since the triggering mechanism stopped working. Now I'm thinking about restoring the scanner and replacing the cameras with smartphones (which would lay horizantally) and trigger them wirelessly. Do you think it would be possible in general and if yes, do you have any tips regarding how to keep the smartphones in place? If you also have any tips regarding what to buy to trigger the cameras on the smartphones via a wireless connection, that would be well appreciated. Thanks! :)
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Konos93a »

Kjarrval wrote: 10 Apr 2023, 09:08 I've got version 0.9.10 of the scanner and after some usage it was put in storage since the triggering mechanism stopped working. Now I'm thinking about restoring the scanner and replacing the cameras with smartphones (which would lay horizantally) and trigger them wirelessly. Do you think it would be possible in general and if yes, do you have any tips regarding how to keep the smartphones in place? If you also have any tips regarding what to buy to trigger the cameras on the smartphones via a wireless connection, that would be well appreciated. Thanks! :)
last time i used smartphone i got many pages that needed recapture .upload a photo of your scanner , what camera are u using?
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

Kjarrval

Post by Kjarrval »

Konos93a wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 04:42 last time i used smartphone i got many pages that needed recapture .upload a photo of your scanner , what camera are u using?
The scanner is in storage and it's a hazzle to access it. But here is the picture from the instructions. The wood is painted black. I think I saw such a scanner briefly in your video.
Screenshot from 2023-04-05 21-16-19.png
Screenshot from 2023-04-05 21-16-19.png (135.42 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
The cameras are stored with the scanner and I don't remember what type they were except they were digital cameras of the cheaper kind by year 2014 standards. They were triggered by USB and I don't remember needing to do many recaptures.
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

with all the respect i think u would have a lot less issues if u fix your trigger mechanism rather than use smartphones .

since u have smartphone test it with a glass like the video , try it for 300 pages book , there will be many issues .for me it did not work but probably i didnt use it correct

still compact camera are better .personally because i was afraid i got 4 cannon a3300 and i use 2 of them and i have the other 2 if them ever stop work.

so i suggest u to find the camera brand and model and check them.
what was your old nickname in diybookscanner forum.
Kjarrval

Post by Kjarrval »

Konos93a wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 15:41 with all the respect i think u would have a lot less issues if u fix your trigger mechanism rather than use smartphones .
[...]
so i suggest u to find the camera brand and model and check them.
what was your old nickname in diybookscanner forum.
Since I went to the storage this morning I got the camera model of the current cameras. Those are two Canon PowerShot SX220 HS cameras (Canon PC1620). After checking the scanner and the available space, I'm back to leaning towards using cameras instead of smartphones, probably replacing them with cameras I can trigger wirelessly.

My old forum nickname was also Kjarrval (if I remember correctly).
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

https://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewto ... 4&start=70

check this post read it from the beginning . i have test many cameras wireless or not .the ones you have are already what you need. give it a try and give each of your camera 5v to trigger them from usb one by one .is very difficult the camera as a device to have an issue ,more probably your usb cable have the issue.

why do u think wireless are better ? if u have money to give go for 2 mirooless sony a6000 or better ,but is overkill for our hobby.

also check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYIL-p9ET4k&t

post an old threat to find any photo of your scanner or upload a photo .sorry if i pressure you is still did not understand how exactly you used to trigger the camera. if you can upload a photo of your scanner in the storage to check how you trigger them. you were using chdk right?