What is a platen?

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

graycloud79

What is a platen?

Post by graycloud79 »

...Please explain so I can understand well. I tried reading up on it and still didn't understand. Is it the glass that flattens the pages during scanning and makes the scan come out cleaner and filters out the bright lights shined on the book pages? So you place the glass on top of the book? Is the glass movable to accommodate for different sized books?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: What is a platen?

Post by daniel_reetz »

I moved this post to hardware where it belongs. Please check out the explanation at the bottom of this page: http://diybookscanner.org/

Perhaps someone can explain it better here...
snaguy
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 0

Post by snaguy »

I the case of a flatbed scanner, photocopier, or MFD (Multi Function Device) the glass where you place the document is the platen. With the DIY book scanners they are using two pieces of glass/plastic in a V shape (or one piece bent into a V shape) to accommodate an open book in a V shaped cradle. The V shape platen will flatten the pages to allow a clean non distorted way to capture an image of the pages.

The platen does not filter out the reflections.

Yes you place the V platen on top of the book.

The platen is moveable normally up and down to allow the pages to be turned.

The size of the platen will only accommodate books smaller than the size of the platen.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

You know, you've only made two posts here, snaguy, but they're both highly informative and also comprehensive. Thanks.