Monson's Servo Auto Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

jck57

Monson's Servo Auto Scanner

Post by jck57 »

First test of auto page turner prototype.
Ryan_phx
E-book readers owned: Nook, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Monson's Servo Auto Scanner

Post by Ryan_phx »

That's pretty darn impressive! Might not be perfect (I saw one missed page at 1:30), but it's a workable prototype. Good work!
tosborn

Post by tosborn »

Very impressive. I wonder how the servo's connected to the v-shaped page hold-downs know when to stop when pressing down? If they just kept pressing down wouldn't the servo burn out after a while?
Turtle91

Post by Turtle91 »

That is really cool!

Is there any way we can get a close-up look to see the movements of each piece??

Great Work
jck57

Post by jck57 »

Thanks. Yeah the presser servos start to heat up after a while. I ordered some cheap servo savers. Other issues: Gonna need smoother cradle bearings to keep the book centered. The book in the demo has super nice paper. This gizmo has a harder time with stiff or too thin paper.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

This is incredible work. I am overjoyed... very impressive engineering!

Also, I can highly recommend cheap skateboard bearings for linear motion. They are incredibly smooth and precise and cost very little.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

jck57

Post by jck57 »

daniel_reetz wrote:This is incredible work. I am overjoyed... very impressive engineering!

Also, I can highly recommend cheap skateboard bearings for linear motion. They are incredibly smooth and precise and cost very little.
Thanks, Dan. Looking on Ebay I see what you mean about skate bearings. Are they all about the same or is there a brand I should look for?
dtic

Post by dtic »

This is amazing, amazing work! It is a pleasure to just watch the video and see page after page turned. :) I saw your PM just now but you clearly have arduino working great already. Very smart solution with different timings for the upper/lower pageholders. There's also only 4 servos in total (from what I see).
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Definitely all about the same. I have some $35 ones from a local skate shop, and they might even be sloppier than the bulk pack I bought from eBay, which was 100 for $40.

I used VXB.com for another order of 100, their stuff is great. Just get the cheapest ones you can get. The ABEC rating basically only specifies runout. I ahve a mix of 7s and 5s and can't tell the difference at all.