A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by rob »

I think you can just screw something -- anything, really -- into the halogen light plate to secure it. Although after some experimentation, I think the scanner isn't going to work in paperback mode with halogens, because halogens generate too much heat, and the space is so small. The LED light fits perfectly underneath, though, and doesn't generate much heat.

If you've previously purchased a kit from me, it didn't come with the LED light plate, but I can send a light plate (with its supports). You would just pay shipping, which I think would be something like $15.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
ateeq85
E-book readers owned: IPad 2
Number of books owned: 60

Post by ateeq85 »

For the new L bracket platten placement without grooves for the scanner how does the glass or plexi clamp in place what is used to keep it in place now this isn't to clear to me but I am considering having just these two pieces cut out again for the improved platten placement. will the previous models pieces still lock in place with the new version.
thinkJason
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by thinkJason »

Rob,

I didn't get the LED plate. We'll see if I can't live with the halogens I already have.

So this attachment idea I was thinking about (pardon my awesome photoshop skills):

Think of a doughnut that circles the lip of the shroud and has two holes to screw into the light fixture.
ateeq85
E-book readers owned: IPad 2
Number of books owned: 60

Post by ateeq85 »

This was chmorrill's solution for the lights on his build
http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... 8&start=20
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Thanks ateeq. You could also probably use a small screw and a large fender washer.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

I have updated the artwork on the front page of this topic to 0.9.10. The only difference is minor: the cradle tray size is decreased by 1/8" on either side, because it was hitting the back brace. Not critical, but it's nice to have the tray go all the way down.

Also on the front page: assembly instructions which get you 95% of the way there. The main issue is that I don't have a Google Sketchup model of a dual-cable bicycle brake lever or bicycle brake cable, and I'm not good enough to make one.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
Fab52
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Fab52 »

Hey Rob,

You and Dan are nuts, I'm reading this board for weeks now, at the beginning I think you will ask 20 or 50$ for the .dxf file.

Surprise it was there for free.

Are you from IKEA guys ? I was reading your instructions guide to assemble the book scanner tonight and it just remenber me those IKEA instruction guide.... really well done... Two thumbs up!!!!

I download the .dxf files last week and show it to some CNC owers in my area for a quote, all was impress with the numbers of parts on each board. Out of three owners, they all say the best wood to do this is Baltic birch plywood. So you right guys....

I got different quote from those guys, one ask 10 hours for programming at 40$ + 2 hours for cutting it at 40$ + the price of the baltic birch at 71.00$ for 5X5" sheet, this guy was in a small town and alone with a CNC router. The best price so far come from a guy in a middle town size with competition, 100 $ for programming + 60$ for cutting the two sheets and 52.50 for each sheets of 5x5 baltic birch.... The 100$ is one time fee after that, if I want an other one or somebody in the Montreal area, we will have to pay the cutting and the price of the sheets.... Let's get that scanner in every small organisation like ours.....

Again thanks for your help!!!

Fab52

PS. English is a second language for me, I read it well, but writing it like a first grade child.... so you may laugh or help me improved my English writing it's up to you .... I leave with that!!!
Last edited by Fab52 on 22 Feb 2012, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
Heelgrasper
E-book readers owned: None
Number of books owned: 500

Post by Heelgrasper »

Have to say, I love those assembly instructions to. Great work.

My plans are to modify the design a bit since I have books to scan that are a bit to big for this design and I actually think the instructions will be helpful for that too when I have to figure out where to make the modifications. Now I just to figure out the alternative to CNC :D I have some ideas so I don't think it'll be to much of a problem.

CNC would likely have been out of the question for me anyway. It's pretty hard to find places around here that do it (I would have to ask around quite a lot) and the prices are rather high. I've seen 70 US$ per hour mentioned at the standard rate in Denmark (and that's the low price because of the economics still being down). And I'm simply to much of a cheap bastard to pay 200 US$ or more to have some wood cut a little fancy. Very likely I would even have to pay more for the plywood since they would make me buy it at them at usually something like 10-20% more than at the timber yard.
---
Jakob Øhlenschlæger
Randers, Denmark

The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there
L. P. Hartley
zafferdemmir

Post by zafferdemmir »

Hi, I want to cut DIY_Book_Scanner_v0.9.10.zip (or newer version), but all CNC machines in Turkey uses metric systems (mm. or cm), But measurements of files in DIY_Book_Scanner_v0.9.9.zip is in inch system.
I will be happy if you convert files in metric system (in mm.) an upload site. Thank you for your help.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

zzaffer, most CAD software should be able to do the conversion for you - mine does.

Fab52, that is the best thing I've heard all week! Please let us know how your scanner turns out!!! I would love to see pictures.