a small story for my scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: a small story for my scanner

Post by Konos93a »

just a way to read books in your bed or see movie on your tablet .(quarantine inspired ) .i think this arm of the light can also get used on Mohib scanner .
Attachments
2020-06-11 11_35_05-Window.png
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I have always wanted a thing like this, but with even more "reach". Does it stay up pretty well?
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

daniel_reetz wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 10:26 I have always wanted a thing like this, but with even more "reach". Does it stay up pretty well?
it tremble a little bit but its fine i would like to use an USB OTG cable with an wireless mouse to turn page but no ebookreader yet support usb otg cable.
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

some photos for htc splitter trigger
Attachments
01.png
01.png (622.26 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
02.png
02.png (354.25 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
03.png
(984.63 KiB) Downloaded 799 times
04.png
04.png (470.71 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
05.png
06.png
06.png (554.87 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
07.png
07.png (1.96 MiB) Viewed 7053 times
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYIL-p9ET4k[/youtube]

With google translate

This scanner is a creation that draws its glamor from its mechanical reproducibility. It is made with neighborhood tools, abandoned wood from rubbish bins and a lot of information from online forums. Easy access to materials, tools and knowledge is a prerequisite for its implementation.

Its aesthetics are zero. I wanted a machine to photograph good and easy books. So I imitated the efforts of some people who started with these wood constructions sometime in 2007 and set up a forum called diybookscanner. I also put my own contribution . In the digitization, I estimate that I have found a way for the cameras to test if photograph is as best as possible based on their resolution (dpi). In photography or scanning I invent a method so that is more user friendly and can extract more scanned pages at the same times .

These constructions were first made by some students from the USA because they did not want to buy the books of their university. English is a language that ocr ( image to text conversion) is annoyingly good compared to other languages. The lack of tones and stigmas and the huge databases in dictionaries are a good recipe for taking pictures that even if the eye does not like them, the conversion into text from photos for this language is close to perfect.

Greek and any other language other than English (with the exception of languages with Latin alphabets) lose ocr even if the scan is with a flat-scanner at 3000 dpi. also to get the words right there is an issue with the syntactic and grammatical errors that arise. So the only way is to convert the books to black and white - as small as possible in size - pdf with as much as possible better image quality and from behind you can search for text (and if one wants to use the text to correct mistakes which may exist).

Digitization programs and book sharing sites come from the 90s of Russia. I believe that the main reasons are the following. In the Soviet Union, books were cheap, state-owned and considered the property of the people. There is also censorship of Western books. In 1990 we have the first commercial flat-scanners. These reasons led to the somewhat more organized first book scanners people and the development in Russia of programs such as abbyfinereader, and since 2004 scantailor (one of the oldest programs on github) protocols such as djvu (something that was replaced by pdf). also sites like libgen and sci-hub come from russia.

The libgen is practically the largest and most easily accessible library in the world with over 3,000,000 books as well as the sci-hub for science papers 85,000,000
There are over 1,500,000 books in English. the main reason that after 2011 that there is amazon breaks the drm and go libgen.
In Russian 850,000, German 150,000 French 37,000 .Greek 12500.

Proportionally, Greek in relation to how many speak a language on the planet has first. the financial crisis, the widespread piracy, the left in greece (based on the content that usually uploaded) the cororan-virus that closed for a while bookstores, publishing houses and the people inside their houses are the main reasons for these numbers.

In general, anyone who builds such a machine should know that they will spend more time digitizing books than reading them. So in terms of fatigue it is worth learning English and getting an ebookreader that supports KOreader. or simply buy or borrow the books which want to read.

do not think that I have any desire to turn the pages, to look one by one if the photos came out complete and to edit them together. And in the end I do not even manage to read the scanned books. watch Movies and listening radio theatrical plays, lectures, seminars, workshops, audiobooks are good company.

For anyone who deals with this thing, a little bit of craziness is needed, both to make it and to work it. You will encounter many technical barriers. The online communities are here to help. You will encounter many pleasures. those of experimentation, discovery and creation.

Like life without sharing its sorrows and joys makes it lifeless. So the users-scanner of this planet are informally united to carry out the urge of communal ownership. from each according to his capabilities, to each according to his needs.
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cday »

Two questions about your platten design:

Konos93a_e_a.png
Konos93a_e_a.png (326.98 KiB) Viewed 6992 times

1. Your platten angle is 100º ?

2. The way the two pieces are joined, with a sharp edge where the platten enters the book, doesn't cause any problem?

Your design avoids the need to profile the edges of the acrylic or glass sheets which may be a practical advantage.

Note that your original image has been enhanced to show more clearly the way the two sheets meet.
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

95.8 degrees glass angle .the right plate it moves a little but no issues with the books.

with some small books i got issues with the reflection with the indide sides of the glass plate . it covers the context but it is very rare .
if not the one plate not cover the other and just touch their sides i have more inside reflections.

pages probably wont touch 100% the glass surface .

check the even page and the light reflections in the corner of the glass
Attachments
1 - 0002.jpg
1 - 0001.jpg
cday

Post by cday »

Konos93a wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 12:27 95.8 degrees glass angle .the right plate it moves a little but no issues with the books.
Was that angle planned rather than using 100 degrees?

As you probably know, Daniel Reetz when he did some tests to investigate the reflection problem found 100 degrees to be optimum, I don't have a link to his posts on that, though.

with some small books i got issues with the reflection with the indide sides of the glass plate . it covers the context but it is very rare.
if not the one plate not cover the other and just touch their sides i have more inside reflections.

pages probably wont touch 100% the glass surface .

check the even page and the light reflections in the corner of the glass
No problem in practice then with the edge of the glass cutting or otherwise damaging the paper of the pages?

In the top photo there are some white marks in the gutter which look more like damage rather than reflections.

In this and a number of later posts in the same long thread I considered various options for joining the two sheets of acrylic or glass for a 100º platten. The considerations were easy insertion into the book fold, without risking damage to the book paper. In total I identified four or five at least theoretical possible types of join, the optimum results probably requiring profiling of one edge of one or both acrylic or glass sheets.

So I was interested to see your variation.
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

Was that angle planned rather than using 100 degrees?
yes handmade. I was trying for 100 degrees, everything is trial and error and check the results. 95 degrees or 105 are good. When i cut i was thinking i will see if it will work i keep it. I didn't know yet the trick with mirror (actually it took me 4 years to realize it and it is a very important).

As you probably know, Daniel Reetz when he did some tests to investigate the reflection problem found 100 degrees to be optimum, I don't have a link to his posts on that, though.
yes i just set much higher the light source. i also scanned some A4 comics still no issues. To set the light i used a large board from a double bed and used some wooden blocks and screws so it doesn't move. In the video i put the a/v small tv in that board.

No problem in practice then with the edge of the glass cutting or otherwise damaging the paper of the pages?
i had some damage very rarely but from my hand. i rip a little bit the pages by accident. Readers of the book probably won't realize it. i think less than 10 pages on almost 400 books. i tell you that because it is most common i as a user of the scanning rip the book rather than the glass.

The glass has carefully trimmed edges with sandpaper. i thing by my experience that this is enough.

i tried to make a scanner like billgill's still didn't have any issue with the glass on the books. the glass there is like very old meat cutter.

Before i start scanning a book i set at 180 degrees with my hand on a desk the first 3 pages of a book so cover doesn't annoying me, i pull over the crease from the cover (sorry for the translation from greece to english). i do that so pages fit better with bigger less gap on the middle. or i can use a pencil or something to put higher the spine of the book

In the top photo there are some white marks in the gutter which look more like damage rather than reflections.
i don't know probably reflection from any cable or bolt. the mirror trick is good way to photograph any reflections.

i didn't keep the original pages. there is from djvusmall encoded and abbyfinereader 12 edited.

the pages are the same in the first 2 i reduce brighness so light surface and reflectrions get more clear
Attachments
Untitled.FR12 - 0002.jpg
Untitled.FR12 - 0001.jpg
d - 0002.jpg
d - 0001.jpg
Last edited by Konos93a on 07 Jun 2021, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
cday

Post by cday »

Thank you for your detailed comments, I hope they could be useful to Doranwen with his scanner build, which I think he hopes to start soon... :D

BTW Are your first two attachments above displaying as intended, at a quick look they seem almost entirely black?