Another scanner design using plastic tubing

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

unsummonable
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 5000

Re: Another scanner design using plastic tubing

Post by unsummonable »

cday wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 09:07 Worthy effort, but one thing anyone considering building a scanner based on David Landin's very original design should keep in mind is that he modified some details in later iterations: some details particularly relating to the platen angle were revised in his latter Instructables version, and in a small number of latter posts on the forum he suggested one or two further changes based on his later experience.

It would be good to have a summary of his final recommendations and I did start a thread which could be used for that, but so far it is only a 'placeholder' thread which could be used both for his final suggestions and also for later constructor feedback. Anyone planning a build would therefore be advised to search the forum thoroughly before starting.
Oh wow, thanks for pointing that out and starting said thread! I'd like to head over there with additional questions and any insights I've gleaned, since I'm already in the process of tracking all this information down. Haven't located the placeholder thread you started - I searched for posts started by your username including Landin's name with no luck. Would you kindly point the way?
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cday »

unsummonable wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 15:27 Oh wow, thanks for pointing that out and starting said thread! I'd like to head over there with additional questions and any insights I've gleaned, since I'm already in the process of tracking all this information down. Haven't located the placeholder thread you started - I searched for posts started by your username including Landin's name with no luck.
I couldn't find it either when I looked after posting, thought I started one, but in any case it was no more than a placeholder for possiblle future use... ;)

But possible good news: David Landin made a rare forum visit earlier today, and I have PM'd him in the hope that he becomes aware of it and can post something himself.

If not, at least the caveat I gave should with some effort enable his more relevant later posts to be found.
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cday »

First, a note about the above English translation of mariano collado's original Spanish build instructions. When I downloaded the file and first viewed it on my Linux laptop, the instructions viewed in several installed PDF viewers were not in English, however viewing the same downloaded file again now, in first the Chromium web browser and then in LibreOffice Draw, in both the instructions are correctly displayed in English. The PDF file format is complex, and although I don't have an explanation for how the file apparently contains build instructions both languages, if anyone encounters the same issue it should be possible overcome it by testing alternative viewers.

Second, the translation clearly describes construction using a platen angle of 90 degrees, the angle specified in David Landin's original memorable description of his novel design. I am not sure whether his later Instructables article also used that angle, or whether he had already increased the angle in light of his experience. If my memory is correct, he described changes to the platen twice at successive dates, the second in one of his much later posts. I think that it was already well-established on the forum that 90 degrees was too small an angle, some searching should be able to bring up discussion on that point if no one still viewing can provide the information.

An interesting detail in the design described in the translation is the suggestion that the acrylic platen previously fabricated by joining two sheets at the required angle in some way, might be purchased as a single sheet already bent to the required angle by the plastic supplier. If that service is available when needed, and the included angle could be specified as whatever value is the optimum angle, it might be a useful simplification in the construction.

Although I was able to contact David Landin recently by PM, he is clearly winding down and seems unlikely to be able to provide any further information related to the final evolution of his design. The small number of later posts that I recall would be about his last posts on the forum.