New project inspired from Hiroshi Yanagisawa's project

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Netty
Number of books owned: 0

New project inspired from Hiroshi Yanagisawa's project

Post by Netty »

Hello,
I'm starting a new project inspired from Hiroshi Yanagisawa's project. I've choosen this project because you don't need a CNC to build the parts. A jigsaw is enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3agQlISbc2Q

for the moment it's on paper. I've joined the first plan to this thread
scanner double page.pdf
The platen support
(248.47 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
I want to share this with you because I have some questions about the distances between the camera and the platen I don't know if I'm right.
The size of one glass is 260 mm x 350 mm (it will be a little more bigger because I need to screw them to the box)

All suggestions and ideas are welcome !
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Re: New project inspired from Hiroshi Yanagisawa's project

Post by dpc »

Have you seen images produced by Hiroshi's scanner?

From the location of the light source in his design it will be visible as a reflection off of the platen glass. Also with the shallow angle between the platen and the light source, the light intensity on the outside edge of the page will be roughly twice what it will be at the inside edge near the gutter. This should be readily apparent when looking at images generated by this scanner, however I wasn't able to locate any images from Hiroshi's scanner online.

If you do decide to build this scanner and can deal with the aforementioned lighting issues, from your drawing the angle between the two platens will need to be increased slightly to approximately 112 degrees in order to not see a reflection from the adjacent platen glass.

Hope that's somewhat helpful. Good luck!
the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Re: New project inspired from Hiroshi Yanagisawa's project

Post by the.traveller »

Very interesting, I have been looking to the youtube file and noticed that this gentlemen has his platen at 110 degrees (4.15 min into the video) which Daniel said would be the best angle to reduce reflection.
Only pity that his blog now has more recent posts and since I can not read Japanese it is impossible to find his design information. It you are proceding with your quest, I hope you can share the design information.
And Hiroshi Yanagisawa is using an Iphone with only 12Mp capability.
I plan to use my Huwaei P30 Pro which has 40Mp which in the end give a better result for books with pictures.