The Dagg Center for the Blind Book Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

elbourne
E-book readers owned: Freedom Scientific Openbook
Number of books owned: 10000

The Dagg Center for the Blind Book Scanner

Post by elbourne »

My wife came home after a recent back surgery with this walker. Her recovery is going well and so, praise the Lord she doesn't need it anymore. I attached a shop lamp, and two bike mounts conveniently hold the two Cannon PowerShot Ellph 180 cameras in place. AC adapters power the cameras and USB cables connect to an 8GB Raspberry Pi 4. With CHDK I have successfully used Remote Desktop to log into the Pi with my laptop, and snap pictures with chdkptp. The cradle is a banana box. I know its crude, but I am pumped... the proof-of-concept works!

I have a ways to go, figuring out how to focus, probably build a better cradle, a platen, etc, but I wanted to share what I have so far. I have been lurking on this forum for a while and most of what I learned, I picked up here. I owe y'all a huge "thank you."

My ultimate goal is to have a high quality book scanner to digitize books, run OCR, and enlist proof-readers, to convert books for the blind.

The John L. Dagg Resource Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired
https://www.facebook.com/blindministry/