Archivist Quill Kit Plans vs. Archivist Book Scanner Plans?

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

cday
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Archivist Quill Kit Plans vs. Archivist Book Scanner Plans?

Post by cday »

dpc wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 13:47 I don't know what the reason is behind Landin choosing a 110 degree platen angle over the more common 100 degrees.
In the first linked post he gives as probably the primary reason the fact that 90º didn't open the pages of the book as much as he desired to capture a good image. He would seem not to be aware of Daniel Reetz's research on the optimum platen angle, which could possibly have been later.

In any case, as the platen angle is increased, the light position will also need to be moved higher to prevent a reflection of the light source off of the platen surface and into the camera.
In one of the linked posts, the second I think, he refers to raising the camera, although possibly not for that reason.

It is a shame that David Landin, who put so much effort into developing and documenting his designs, does not seem to have left a description of his final recommendations. He referred in one of his later posts to his preparing a spreadsheet with his revised dimensions, but I don't see it in the above thread, which seems to have ended soon afterwards. I don't know if there are any other relevant threads on which he has posted further details. He hasn't posted for several years now, and although an online search found references to him in Rhyl, England, none were recent.
Doranwen
E-book readers owned: Onyx Boox (dead), Astak EZ Reader (dead)
Number of books owned: 2700

Post by Doranwen »

cday wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 14:20 He referred in one of his later posts to his preparing a spreadsheet with his revised dimensions, but I don't see it in the above thread, which seems to have ended soon afterwards. I don't know if there are any other relevant threads on which he has posted further details.
It's not a spreadsheet but somewhere I did come across two separate pdfs (probably in that thread), one of which has the larger size platen dimensions for everything. It's what my brother's been using as a main reference point. I turned it into a spreadsheet by typing up each part and whatnot, but that probably isn't what you mean…?
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cday »

David Landin referred in one thread to his preparing a spreadsheet but I didn't see it mentioned again in that thread, possibly the information was provided in a different way in a later post somewhere.

Given the way that his design evolved after the initial announcement of his design, with the 'Instructables' article and then more posts over time in at least one other forum thread in which aspects of the design were updated, I think it would be useful to collect all relevant references in one thread. That might be best done as a new thread which can be easily located, in which the changes made can be consolidated and people can discuss any further ideas for the evolution of the design, such as the increase in platen angle to 100º and, for example, suggested suitable pvc tube type for construction in the U.S. or elsewhere.

As a minimum, a listing of all relevant previous mentions on the forum, and cross-references to relevant posts in particular threads. And ideally, a consolidated updated design.