Steel frame for Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

str1
Number of books owned: 0

Steel frame for Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Post by str1 »

I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600 overhead scanner which seems to be a good solution for scanning magazines. However, for best results it is necessary to black out whole room (otherwise there are reflections especially with glossy paper).

To avoid these issues, I'm considering building a steel frame with blackout cloth for the device.

What I have in mind is something like the structures Atiz uses, but without any of the internal furnishings (like the V-shaped cradle).

That is, I'm only looking to build a steel frame and add a blackout cloth over it.

To help, I'd appreciate any feedback concerning the following:

1. For steel parts, is matt black a good choice, or is it preferable to use flat black (or something else)?

2. For cloth, is blackout cloth the best choice? The idea is to have it fully cover left, rear, right, and top side of the frame. For front, I suppose only a short flap is needed, like in Atiz BookDrive Mini 2: https://mini2.atiz.com/

3. Does an overhead scanner like Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600 benefit of an overhead light/spot in the frame? It seems that Atiz devices and many DIY book scanners have such light, but I'm not sure whether an overhead scanner needs one as it doesn't use camera.

4. Anything else I should keep in mind?

Thanks for any tips!
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Steel frame for Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Post by dpc »

Just to verify, you've tried scanning a dark page (ideally, a solid black piece of slick paper) with this scanner in a completely darkened room and you don't see any artifacts? That is, are you certain that the artifacts in your scanner's images are coming from external light sources?

I'm not familiar with this particular scanner, but I went on Amazon.com and watched the product demonstration videos and they claim as one of the features of this scanner is that you don't get the sort of extraneous lighting artifacts seen with typical "camera" scanners due to the lighting system being used.

You don't need special photographic black out cloth for this. You can use cheap black felt or black velvet fabric. What you're trying to do is block the light coming from other areas of the room, not prevent interreflections from the light source of the scanner. From what I saw in that product video, the intensity of the light that scanner uses would seem to overpower any sort of reflected light.

You don't necessarily need black for the frame material. If you're concerned about the frame reflecting light back on the surface of the page, put the black fabric on the inside of the frame, rather than draping it over the outside. You can use black cable ties to attach the fabric to the frame. Or just spray the steel with a coat of flat black paint.