Acrylic glass - Anti-reflective vs Non-glare

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

bokks
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 1000

Acrylic glass - Anti-reflective vs Non-glare

Post by bokks »

I am planning to use acrylic instead of normal glass for my scanner design. While hunting for the best possible options for acrylic I am faced with a dilemma on weather to choose a anti-reflective vs non-glare or just buy a normal clear acrylic as was mentioned somewhere in this forum.
Would love to hear your experience and suggestions.
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Acrylic glass - Anti-reflective vs Non-glare

Post by cday »

bokks wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 06:46 I am planning to use acrylic instead of normal glass for my scanner design. While hunting for the best possible options for acrylic I am faced with a dilemma on weather to choose a anti-reflective vs non-glare or just buy a normal clear acrylic as was mentioned somewhere in this forum.
Would love to hear your experience and suggestions.
Standard clear acrylic is likely to be easier to source, from what I have read an anti-reflective coating could slightly impact the sharpness of the resulting image, which in practice may or may not be an issue. I think there may also possibly be different types or grades of acrylic according to the manufacturing process used, which could also be a consideration?

The forum has been rather quiet recently so it might be worth some searching on the forum, the 'Advance search' option would probably be best.
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: Acrylic glass - Anti-reflective vs Non-glare

Post by Konos93a »

i suggest to avoid to use any type of acrylic glass because it is much easier rather than normal glass to scratch the surface and make it more blurred. this happen while u clean it or if u hit it by accident