Which cropping software do you recommend?

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

bartek158
Number of books owned: 0

Post by bartek158 »

Hello
Best Regards
cday

Re: Which cropping software do you recommend?

Post by cday »

For batch cropping I use XnConvert, a really neat cross-platform software which can also apply other enhancements which could be useful such as a levels adjustment; there is also XnResize (Windows-only) which I haven't tried, both from xnview.com.

For individual images there are any number of softwares, some of course also including batch conversion support; my current general purpose image editor is XnView MP, cross-platform Windows, Mac and Linux, but although it has an enhanced crop function it might be a little heavyweight for basic needs. It also supports batch conversion if required.
cday

Re: Which cropping software do you recommend?

Post by cday »

Thinking some more about your request for advice on cropping software, and the fact that there are many softwares that might meet your needs, to some extent the most suitable software for your needs may depend on what you need to do, which if more help might be useful you might like to outline.

When I mentioned that XnView MP is my normal image editor, I mentioned that it had an enhanced cropping interface, which was added fairly recently in response to user requests. One common situation that can arise when scanning or imaging multiple pages is that the images need to be cropped to the same size, but the required part of the image is not in the exactly same place in successive images. The varying positions mean that the images can't be batch cropped, but cropping each page manually is tedious if there are many pages to process.

Looking now at XnView MP's enhanced crop action, when Edit > Crop... is selected a horizontal toolbar is displayed below the standard toolbar bar. Then a selection of the desired size can be made with the mouse and the cropped image saved. Then using the 'Crop, Save & Next' button further images can be cropped to the exact same size, with if needed the selection moved using the mouse, and saved. That seems a really neat option, ideal for book scannong, but be warned to always test using copies of images, as some practice may be required at first to get the sequence right. Always good practice, anyway... ;)