Microsoft Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

Hasher

Microsoft Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Post by Hasher »

Hi

I am not a good programmer but someone who is better at this might have an idea if it will work.

Was reading the documentation to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) and it has some interesting Objects . Mainly :

Takepicture :The TakePicture method of the Item object causes a digital camera device to take a picture and returns an Item object that represents the resulting image. This method applies only to digital camera devices.

And

Transfer: The Transfer method of the Item object transfers data from a device to a file. This method applies only to device type items.

All are detailed here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx

Was thinking an app could be made to take pictures and retrieve them from cameras to the computer harddrive. Of course focus couldnt be handled .

I am not a coder so maybe someone could me an idea if it could work ?

Paul
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Re: Microsoft Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Post by StevePoling »

From the M$ documentation, "The Microsoft Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) interface is both an API and a device driver interface (DDI)." In other words, WIA is a bit of middleware between your application and the camera's device driver. I did some mucking about with device drivers, but I've not touched them since Windows 3.1. Usually the hardware vendor supplies the device driver to facilitate use of the hardware by the OS (and its middleware).

To go down this road, you must find your camera's Windows device driver. Or be prepared to build one yourself. A polite inquiry to your camera's manufacturer is your next step. If you find a device driver for the Canon A590, that'll be good, but we'll have to make sure the device driver isn't confused by any of the chdk tweaks we need.
Hasher

Re: Microsoft Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Post by Hasher »

It seems WIA-Loader ( a link I found off SDM's site) uses M$ WIA also . Canon also supports WIA on many of their cameras

http://www.mortara.org/index.php/softwa ... wia-loader