Splitting pages

Discussion about Steve DeVore's Book Scan Wizard, a power-user package to automate scan processing.

Moderator: peterZ

ericsnis

Splitting pages

Post by ericsnis »

I was under the impression Book Scan Wizard could split images containing two pages then do keystone correction. I can get it to correct perspective on either the left or the right side but for some reason I cannot get it to do both.

Do I need to have each page as a discrete file before attempting perspective adjustments?
Also can it automatically find the spine and adjust the crop?

Here's my problem.
The spine migrates a bit going through the book so just pointing Photoshop (CS5 or Lightroom 3) at it doesn't get good results. I lose 1/4 to 1/3 of a page using a recorded action, it doesn't seem to matter what page in the book I base the crop on.
I also tried Scan Tailor but it doesn't always find the spine sometimes it is all over the road. It wasn't able to find content very well either. So I want to try BSW to see what it can do. It could also be how I am setting things up too.
steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Re: Splitting pages

Post by steve1066d »

I'm sorry for the late response.. I didn't notice the posting.

BSW can split pages. To do so use the LoadLRImages instead of the LoadImages operations. If there source directory doesn't contain a l & r folder, it assumes that each image has two pages on it. Then you do the operations to crop & correct the perspective on the right and left pages.

It will be something like this:

Code: Select all

LoadLRImages = /somedirectory

Pages = left
PerspectiveAndCrop= x x x x 

Pages = right
PerspectiveAndCrop= x x x x 

The spine moving around will be a challenge... If it bounces around randomly, BSW isn't the right tool to use.. ScanTailor is probably the better choice.

However, if the spine is gradually moving in the same direction, then you can use the InterpolateCrop operation, followed by the Perspective operation.

Let me know if any of this makes sense...
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.