Release of Book Scan Wizard 2.0.1

Discussion about Steve DeVore's Book Scan Wizard, a power-user package to automate scan processing.

Moderator: peterZ

steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Release of Book Scan Wizard 2.0.1

Post by steve1066d »

I've released BSW 2.0.1 which has the following enhancements:
  • This will work with the free OCR program Tesseract to automatically OCR pages that are saved to PDF files. This means you can use BSW to take source images directly from the camera, combine the left & right images, perform the needed crops, distortion corrections, filtering, and OCRing to create a searchable, readable PDF. To use it, install Tessaract, then add this line to the configuration to tell BSW where to find it. For example, using this with Windows would look like this:

Code: Select all

OCR = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tesseract-OCR"
  • More intelligent use of memory, so less likely to get out of memory errors.
  • If you want to set a specific number of threads to use, you can add -Dbsw.thread_limit=xx to the command line.
  • If you are using images or PDF that have a DPI defined, it will default to that DPI of those images.
  • The webstart version is working, and because the application is now signed, the warnings to use it are much less onerous. BTW, Certum offers free signing certificates for Open Source developers.
  • When cropping an image, if the crop extends beyond the edge of the image, the image is automatically extended to allow the crop.
  • Page numbers can be defined for PDF files, so that the page numbers Adobe Acrobat records will match the actual pages of the book. For example, if you have a book that has pages i-xxx, followed by pages 1-200, with 4 color plates between 100-101, you can define:

PageLabels = i-xxx, 1-100, "Plate 1-4", 101-
  • PDF output files can be configured to default to the 2UP view, and various other default (such as full screen, show title pages seperate, etc. For example:

CreatePDF = book.pdf Options=2-UP,Scrolling,UseTitle
  • Many bug fixes.
Also see this post for other recent enhancements.
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.
DanE
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Release of Book Scan Wizard 2.0.1

Post by DanE »

Hi Steve,

I started to post a question but I see the answer in the updated command help screen.

Thanks for all your effort,
Dan
steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Re: Release of Book Scan Wizard 2.0.1

Post by steve1066d »

Glad to hear you were able to figure it out, and thanks for letting me know you are using the software. The more I hear about people using it, the more likely I am to continue to improve it.
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.