Book Scan Wizard

Discussion about Steve DeVore's Book Scan Wizard, a power-user package to automate scan processing.

Moderator: peterZ

caelum

Re: Book Scan Wizard

Post by caelum »

Hi Steve,
I have been trying to read more on Scan Tailor and BSW and found this thread. Hope I'm not going to fill it up with useless chatter.

I h ave to admit I'm somewhat lost with all the talk on this one thread, so as much as I'd like to get BSW to work, it might be above my head! I know your not familiar with Mac, so not sure if I should just forget ever get this running ?
What would be your suggestions for me ?

GOsh I hate not being able to get myself out of this, but I'm rather stuck. :(

If anyone else here has a Mac 10.4 and can troubleshoot with me I'd be happy to post my results up here for whomever else can use it ?

All I have here, is from trying the webstart I get this message:
An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: Book Scan Wizard
Vendor: Steve Devore
Category: System Configuration

The application has requested a version of the JRE (version 1.6+) that currently is not locally installed. Java Web Start is unable to automatically download and install the requested version. This JRE must be installed manually.

And then when I press Launch it has this code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<jnlp codebase="http://bookscanwizard.sourceforge.net/run" href="bsw.jnlp" spec="1.0+">
<information>
<title>Book Scan Wizard</title>
<vendor>Steve Devore</vendor>
<homepage href="http://bookscanwizard.sourceforge.net"/>
<description>Book Scan Wizard</description>
<description kind="short">Book Scan Wizard</description>
<association extensions="bsw" mime-type="application-x/bsw-file"/>
<shortcut online="false">
<desktop/>
<menu submenu="Book Scan Wizard"/>
</shortcut>
<offline-allowed/>

<icon href="bsw.png" kind="default"/>
</information>
<update check="timeout" policy="prompt-update"/>
<security>
<all-permissions/>
</security>
<resources>
<j2se java-vm-args="-Xmx1024M" version="1.6+"/>
<jar href="BookScanWizard.jar" main="true"/>
<extension href="http://download.java.net/media/jai/webs ... atest.jnlp" name="" version=""/>
<extension href="http://download.java.net/media/jai-imag ... o-1.1.jnlp" name="" version=""/>
</resources>
<application-desc main-class="net.sourceforge.bookscanwizard.BSW">

</application-desc>
</jnlp>

There is another 'Exception' code, ifyou think it's useful I can post.
I'd really love to get this working, just am a real ditz here.
Thanks for all your help thus far,
~caelum
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

Update your Mac. You're 2 versions behind, and the latest updates (should) include the latest JRE, which works for a lot of other people.
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

I'm a double post. Ignore me.
Last edited by Anonymous1 on 12 Feb 2011, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
caelum

Post by caelum »

Anonymous wrote:Update your Mac. You're 2 versions behind, and the latest updates (should) include the latest JRE, which works for a lot of other people.
Thanks Anonymous,
but I'm at the max for updating this unit unless I jump to a new computer entirely. :(
That brings with it the inevitable, big cash outlay, and updates to expensive software that I'm hoping to put off for as long as this one works.

I like to run them as long as they'll go, then trash em'
if I can.

If JRE is all that is needed, perhaps I can troubleshoot just that ?

~caelum
steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Post by steve1066d »

No guarantees.. but try this link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL972
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

I've got a new version of Book Scan Wizard (0.9.9)

Here's a list of recent changes to Book Scan Wizard:

Dragging no longer has to have the shift key held down. The mouse cursor will change to a compass (or whatever drag cursor you have), to indicate that it can be dragged.

If you hold down the control key while changing a crop, it will scale the image to match the crop marks. This can be used if you are copying a crop from one side to the other and they were scanned at different resolutions. After cropping, there will be an option to Crop & Scale, which will scale the new cropped area to match the original crop area.

Barcodes can be scanned using the gui. However, it takes a while and the progress bar doesn't work for that. (The progress bar for barcodes is on my list of things to do).

Keystone correction barcodes can be printed in whatever size you wish. That will allow greater accuracy since you can use barcodes that better match the size of the book. The DPI will be caluclated correctly whatever size you use.

Added ability to work with a images from single camera taking pictures of both pages. For this you use the LoadLRImages, and if there are images in that directory instead of a l & r subdirectories, it will show each page as two pages, allowing you to choose seperate perspective and crop options for the left and right sides.

Added a barcode to set the source DPI.

Bugs:
Fixed Undo & Redo
Fixed NormalizeLighting
Improved the error message if there were perspective barcodes missing.
Fixed a problem where the list of files were not sorted correctly when using some filesystems.

Changes:
The -barcode and -split use to have a threshold of 0-255. I changed it to 0-100 to match the rest of BSW. It is also possible to specify the threshold when scanning the barcodes in the gui. I also changed the default threshold so it will work with darker images.
Steve Devore
dingodog
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by dingodog »

Dear steve1066d

Bookscanwizard needs these dependencies (apart Java that I already have)

Java Advanced Imaging (JAI) 1.1.3
https://jai.dev.java.net/binary-builds.html

JAI Tools 1.1:
https://jai-imageio.dev.java.net/binary-builds.html

it would be possible for you build a version with these dependencies already inside, so user must not install yourself in system but can use bookscanwizard from its directory, like a portable app? ? For tiny distro users, it is not too easy downloading and install bookscanwizard dependencies
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

If you use webstart to install the app, it will automatically install the dependencies.

JAI is kind of a pain to include.. There's native libraries for windows and Linux, and there's a lot of people here who don't use Windows.

I did look into making normal installers, and in fact I would have preferred doing it that way. But I couldn't find a way to make installers that worked for all platforms.

However, the webstart version is pretty handy, and will automatically let you know if there are updates. There is an option to create a script to call the app from the command line, even if it was installed by webstart.
Steve Devore
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

I've got a new version of BookScanWizard. I'm calling this one version 1.0 release candidate 1.

Web start version: http://bookscanwizard.sourceforge.net/run/

Manual install: https://sourceforge.net/projects/booksc ... .0_RC1.zip

At this point I'm probably not going to be adding any more features until I release the final 1.0 version. I'll try to work on improving the documentation and creating a video that will be helpful in getting started with BSW.

Here's a list of new features and fixes:
  • if a crop or other command is entered from the viewer, it will automatically add a Pages=left or Pages=right command if necessary.
  • The system should be less prone to running out of tile caching. (When that happens, the system seems to go very slowly but does not return an error).
  • Added an "Auto Levels" option to the viewer that changes that doesn't change the color balance.
  • It now grays out the configuration that will not be run if "to cursor" mode is chosen.
  • Changed DeselectPages operation to RemovePages operation, which seemed to be a better name. However, the old name will continue to work.
  • Added a SetDPI barcode. While using the perspective barcodes will also save the DPI, using this new barcode is useful if you are setting the perspective manually.
  • Improved EstimateDPI functionality. If you scan a page with two different zoom settings, then either enter the source DPI manually or with the DPI barcode, it can save the focal length and DPI information. It can then use use that information to calculate the DPI automatically in future batches with having to enter the source DPI.
  • Added a "Remove page" option to the viewer
  • Added right click options in the editor to insert the most commonly used operations.
  • Added a graycard option in the viewer to adjust the brightness and white balance using a photography gray card.
  • Fixed issues with using barcodes. In particular, the -split operation will work now.
  • Added script for Mac and Linux users the manual install process.
  • Added a ScaleToFirst command that will resize all the images in a batch to the same size.
Steve Devore
matt

Post by matt »

awesome -- thank you!