New Version of Book Scan Wizard

Discussion about Steve DeVore's Book Scan Wizard, a power-user package to automate scan processing.

Moderator: peterZ

steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

New Version of Book Scan Wizard

Post by steve1066d »

I've added the following changes to Book Scan Wizard (version 1.1):
  • Added ability to upload books to the Internet Archive. See the other posting or the wiki for information on this.
  • F1 will bring up help for the command you are working on.
  • Right clicking in the configuration will also give you an option to display the help for the command you on.
  • Added a Saturation command to change the color saturation.
  • Removed the "To cursor" checkbox as it didn't seem to do anything useful.
  • Fixed the LoadDPI menu choice
  • Added the ability to save in different formats. Additional formats are: tiff with jpeg compression, jpeg, png, and jp2.
  • You can now cut & paste from the command help. Double-clicking to insert a command also works.
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.
umpausewhat

Re: New Version of Book Scan Wizard

Post by umpausewhat »

Thanks again for this, Steve. I'm back unfortunately with the same install problem I had before. After using BSW with great success the last week, I tried installing the new version with web start and got the same ParseException error as before, but this time, when I tried the trick that worked last time (deleting temporary files and applets from the java control panel), it still was a no go. When I tried to open bsw 1.0, it also showed the same error. I tried to uninstall bsw 1.0, but the control panel wouldn't let me. I uninstalled java a couple times and re-installed it, but to no avail. If you have any other ideas, I would once again be grateful. Otherwise, I'm considering upgrading to Windows 7 to see if that will help (currently on vista). It's either that or spend $50 talking to a java tech.

If I did the manual install, do you think that would solve the problem? Thanks.
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

So you tried deleting the temporary files? (Go to the system control panel, java control panel, General, Temporary Internet Files, Settings, Delete Files..., OK.)

One more thing to try: reboot your PC and before attempting to start the applications, go delete the temporary files again. Then give it another try.

If that doesn't work, the manual install would be an option, as the issue you are running into wouldn't happen with that version. If you do use that version, use the following links instead of the ones listed to install the jai & jai-imageio (Oracle changed the location of the files):

http://download.java.net/media/jai-imag ... lease/1.1/
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media ... 1_1_3.html
Steve Devore
umpausewhat

Post by umpausewhat »

Huh. Somehow my computer responds when I perform actions when you've told me to do them, but not otherwise. I've rebooted multiple times today, but this time it worked. Thanks again for whatever java vibes you send through the ether to my machine.
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

Gee, Normally I have to be present for that to work :)
Steve Devore
umpausewhat

Post by umpausewhat »

Quick question on the new SaveImage command. I added "SaveImage = jpeg" to the procedure I had been running before with success. With the added SaveImage command, the output files are indeed jpegs and nice and small, but the crop ends up much narrower than the displayed crop size in bsw (i.e., the crop size when the output is left in tiff). Am I leaving a step out? Here are my commands:

Pages=all
BarrelCorrection = .000000000006

Pages = left
Crop = 470,232, 2210,3270 # 001 L

Pages = right
Crop = 323,281, 2063,3319 # 002 R

Pages = all
ScaleToDPI = 300

Pages = all
SaveImage = jpeg
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

umpausewhat,

Could you have done the crops after you added the ScaleToDPI setting, then moved the ScaleToDPI to the end?

Are you setting a source dpi anywhere?

What are the dimensions of the source image, the tiff images, and the jpeg images?
Steve Devore
umpausewhat

Post by umpausewhat »

Original image dimension: 3264 x 2448 (horizontal orientation)
Tiff output dimension (without crop): 2597 x 3463
Tiff output dimension cropped: 1740 x 3038
Jpeg output dimension (without crop): 2597 x 3463
Jpeg output dimension with same crop box as above Tiff: (left and right come out different) Left = 1279 x 2824; Right = 1417 x 2757

My source DPI is 298 for left pages, 300 for right. I believe I may have added the ScaleToDPI before the crop when I originally finalized the procedure, but after that I've just been loading it as a config file. I did try to run bsw without the ScaleToDPI command and I still got the malformed jpegs.

Thinking about this, it looks like the source DPI and scaling seem to be the problem. I also tried running this by setting the SetTiffOptions to 300 NONE instead of using the ScaletoDPI. Still get the differently dimensioned output jpegs. If it helps, here are all my commands on the config file I was running before adding the SaveImage command:

# the source directory
LoadImages = C:\Users\MyName\Pictures\Book pages\Barrel Correct

# Override source DPI
Pages = left
SetSourceDPI = 298

Pages = right
SetSourceDPI = 300

# The Destination directory
SetDestination = C:\Users\MyName\Pictures\Book pages\Barrel Distortion Corrected

# Sets the final DPI and compression
SetTiffOptions = 0 NONE

# Configure the left pages
Pages = left
Rotate = -90

# Configure the right pages
Pages = right
Rotate = 90

########################################################################
### Insert commands to fix keystone, color, etc.
########################################################################
Pages=all
BarrelCorrection = .000000000006

Pages = left
Crop = 470,232, 2210,3270 # 001 L

Pages = right
Crop = 323,281, 2063,3319 # 002 R

Pages=all
ScaleToDPI = 300
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

Thanks for the example.. that helped me track down the problem. (Well, I didn't figure out why it was happening, but I found a workaround). I just uploaded 1.1.b , so give it a try.
Steve Devore
umpausewhat

Post by umpausewhat »

Blaargh. I hate to take up any more of your time with this, but I've run into the same problem with webstart when trying to download the new version--can't get Java to run the install and I retried the old tricks--deleting the Java temp files, rebooting, deleting them again before trying to download again, etc. So it looks like I'll need to opt for the manual install. The problem here is I know next to nothing about programming and so I don't have any of the common sense intuitions about how to go about doing the manual install. If step by step instructions have been written elsewhere, I missed them--a link to that page is all I need. Otherwise, if I could impose on your time once more, how do I do the manual install? I imagine I start by downloading the requisite java programs you listed. When I download the zipped bsw file, what folder/directory should I extract it to and what do I do with those files? Will the other installed java components do their thing automatically, or will I be interacting with each program at different stages of the process? Do I need to input commands on the command line? I'm not even sure if these are the right questions.

I suppose you could also just tell me to try deleting the temp files again and whatever java magic happened last time will kick in and it will work.