Scan vs Ethics vs History vs Value?????

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

jacoborlando
Number of books owned: 500

Scan vs Ethics vs History vs Value?????

Post by jacoborlando »

I'm scanning my church's museum library collection of Martin Luther's Small Catechism. There are over 200 unique editions dating back to 1529 that we're digitizing to be made freely available for reading/research!

One of the books (1760) has the pages uncut from the bindery...most pages in the second half of the book are uncut at the top. I've come to learn that this is rare and very collectible in old books...but I still want to scan the book itself. Apart from cutting the page tops, I won't be able to scan those pages. I could scan every other leaf, but I'd end up missing a quarter of the book.

Sooooo...do i cut the pages and do the scan? Scan what I can and leave the pages uncut? Burn the book and pretend this problem doesn't exist? hahaha
BruceG

Re: Scan vs Ethics vs History vs Value?????

Post by BruceG »

I cannot comment on cutting the book.
But a work around may be finding another library who would either scan their own copy or allow you to scan it. And so leave your copy intact, but 50% unreadable.
jacoborlando

Post by jacoborlando »

That's a great idea! I've been looking but haven't found another copy...will keep looking before considering any destructive copying.

Thanks and happy scanning!
BruceG

Post by BruceG »

Jacob
What are the details of the book.
Uses of this site are in many countries. The extra eyes may be able to help.
jacoborlando

Post by jacoborlando »

BruceG wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 01:09 Jacob
What are the details of the book.
Uses of this site are in many countries. The extra eyes may be able to help.
The book is called: Christliches Concordien Buch Das Ist Der Evangelisch Lutherischen Kirche Symbolische Schriften

It's The Book of Concord. Printed in 1760 in Wittenberg by Auf Roften Des Baifenhauses und der Realschule

I'm curating and digitizing a collection of Martin Luther's Small Catechism which has been published almost continuously since 1529. It will be freely available for viewing/downloading for all kinds of research!
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Post by L.Willms »

jacoborlando wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 08:40
The book is called: Christliches Concordien Buch Das Ist Der Evangelisch Lutherischen Kirche Symbolische Schriften

It's The Book of Concord. Printed in 1760 in Wittenberg by Auf Roften Des Baifenhauses und der Realschule
I think that this means really "Auf Kosten des Waisenhauses und der Realschule" -- beware of the German "long s" which looks like an "f", but is distinquished from that by not having the horizontal bar.
jacoborlando wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 08:40 I'm curating and digitizing a collection of Martin Luther's Small Catechism which has been published almost continuously since 1529. It will be freely available for viewing/downloading for all kinds of research!
Where are you working on this? Country, location, and which collection do you use?

BTW, here is a digitized version of one of the editions online: https://haab-digital.klassik-stiftung.d ... 9494999/1/ This is published by the "Herzogin Anna Amalia Bibliothek" in Weimar which keeps documents from the 9th to the 21st centuries, and which was heavily damaged by a fire in 2004.

The edition which you mention above is probably this one: http://gso.gbv.de/CHARSET=UTF-8/DB=2.1 ... 47.249,FN

I found four digital editions by German libraries. You can search in the "Karlsruher Virtueller Katalog" for it
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Post by L.Willms »

jacoborlando wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 14:01 Sooooo...do i cut the pages and do the scan?
I suggest you take this book to a good book binder where you are and ask that one for advice. He may do it for you, being a professional in that kind of work.

Maybe you should visit a book binder in a larger city in your area, preferrably where a larger university is located, too.