RoBook Scanner (Proudly Philippine Made!)

A place to tell us about your work and projects. Self-links encouraged!

Moderator: peterZ

E^3

RoBook Scanner (Proudly Philippine Made!)

Post by E^3 »

Here is my RoBook Scanner Projects:

Phase I:
DIY Book Scanner (Completed)
Photos:
Videos:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 5938626307
Websites:
http://cobecoballes-robotics.blogspot.c ... pture.html

Phase II
XYZ Automated Planetarium Scanner (85%)

Phase III
RoBook Scanner with page Turner(55%)

Note:
Copyright and Patented

E^3
Philippines
Gerard
Number of books owned: 0

Re: RoBook Scanner (Proudly Philippine Made!)

Post by Gerard »

Hi, nice pice of work and still a lot of todo
E^3 wrote: Note:
Copyright and Patented
what ist patended and in wich country and what does it mean for the diy community
E^3

Post by E^3 »

Hi SIr Gerard,

Good Day.

What a very good question.

Actually I am collaborating with the Institutions I'm working now(where they gave all the funds & resources), to share some code open to the community.
A lot of features in the projects will interest the community.
1) GUI Based program(two or more cameras)
2) Conversion of all image format(PDF,DjCU,JPG,BMP and etc)
3) Image processing: Normalizations,cropping and binding
4) Camera Automation : zooming and interface with stepper motors
5) Robust and low-cost mechanical design

The rights had been applied in the Philippines and is passed to the international patent office(application is done by the institutions not me)

Since the community inspire me, I am doing the same in return ,that this community has a lot of skilled people who could show case
their own style of DIY Scanner.

Thanks

E^3
Philippines
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hi E^3,

In this community, we primarily develop Open Hardware. Gerard's question is a very serious one. If you are going to be copyrighting and patenting your designs, which were derived from our designs, you need to consider what the ramifications are for your participation here, and also consider that this community represents perhaps the largest collection of book scanning prior art worldwide.

Patenting designs from this forum is, as far as I am concerned, a hostile action. I understand that the university has applied for a patent, but you did not answer the question - a patent on what? That should be simple. A patent has claims which are clear. Whatever the claims are, if someone has applied for them, we have to avoid them, and that complicates things here.

I know from your forum history and from watching you develop RoBook that you are familiar with the Open Source spirit and that you have put a lot of work into the project. So please understand that although this is a serious message, I write it with much respect and only good intentions.

Looking forward to your answer,
Daniel Reetz
E^3

Post by E^3 »

Good Day Mr. Reetz.
[premise]
In this community, we primarily develop Open Hardware. Gerard's question is a very serious one. If you are going to be copyrighting and patenting your designs, which were derived from our designs, you need to consider what the ramifications are for your participation here, and also consider that this community represents perhaps the largest collection of book scanning prior art worldwide.

Ans:
I agree that community's goal; but ,"which were derived from our designs"-is not applicable on my declarative statement . First, I am designing a robot of XYZ planetarium which is not the main DIY , second Robot Book scanner with page turner is also not the main DIY.Thirdly the DIY scanner(manual scanning) concept is a universal we may vary it from the efficiency of our own style-our engineering design(if some one promote wood, then somebody use a scrap low-cost metal)
Inspiration doesn't mean derivations,for an inspirations is informing the achievements of what we have done; in this case an Scanner.About the "largest collection of book scanning "-is non sequitor for there is no need to argue on that.

[premise]
Patenting designs from this forum is, as far as I am concerned, a hostile action. I understand that the university has applied for a patent, but you did not answer the question - a patent on what? That should be simple. A patent has claims which are clear. Whatever the claims are, if someone has applied for them, we have to avoid them, and that complicates things here.

Ans:
That's a well define statement, I have answered it on the first "ans:" (1) Software algorithm : Normalization, de skewing and dewarfing (2) XYZ Planetarium (3) RoBook Scanner with page turner.I have also checking previous patent and design to anticipate "hostile action" and to avoid plagiarism -our peer review.
IMO, once something claims is patented you did not need to avoid it , actually, it can be used just with permission.It will not complicate because it will inspire other enthusiast to do and strive for their own style -unless they claim something that does not "originate" from them.

[premise]
I know from your forum history and from watching you develop RoBook that you are familiar with the Open Source spirit and that you have put a lot of work into the project. So please understand that although this is a serious message, I write it with much respect and only good intentions.

Ans:
"Actually I am collaborating with the Institutions I'm working now(where they gave all the funds & resources), to share some code open to the community.
A lot of features in the projects will interest the community."-that only means that Open Source spirit is there.

Thank you very much and more power!

E^3
Philippines
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

E^3 wrote: IMO, once something claims is patented you did not need to avoid it , actually, it can be used just with permission.It will not complicate because it will inspire other enthusiast to do and strive for their own style -unless they claim something that does not "originate" from them.
I totally disagree with this. Sure, it can be used with permission. But one does not apply for a patent in order to freely give something away. Unless your patent-holding institution is willing to grant a patent release to the community-at-large, or to each user here, that is a disingenuous statement. Patents make permission cost money.

As for "strive for their own style" - no. Locking up ideas does not make people "strive for their own style". It makes things more difficult for everyone. It is hostile, and is, frankly, privatizing the commons. People here have been making their own designs, without ANY "help" from patents, for about three years now.

I'll be interested to see what you release and how much of your code is Open Source.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

I agree with Dan. Seeking a patent is by definition a completely hostile action. If you were inspired by our community, and you came up with something new, then you have two options:

1. Share it with the community and do not get a patent.

2. Do not share it with the community, and get a patent.

There would ordinarily be a third choice, which is to get a patent and grant everyone a free license to use it. Unless you are a large corporation, there is no point in this option, because the purpose of a patent is to prevent whoever you want from using it. Large corporations do this so that they can sue anyone who tries to profit from the patent. Or anyone who they think is getting too big. Or anyone they don't like. This is completely antithetical to the ideals of open source and open hardware.

E^3, let me make it completely clear: if you are pursuing a patent, then do not post here.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
E^3

Post by E^3 »

Hi Sir Daniel,

Good Day.

"I'll be interested to see what you release and how much of your code is Open Source."Noted and Copy to that Sir Dan.

To Sir Rob,

A pleasant day.

That's the reason why I've just enumerated the other projects.I appreciate your advice very much.
Anyway , I'l not cease my goal to at-least share my innovation to every one here.

Thanks and more power to all of us!

E^3
Philippines