Imperial Club - 100k page automotive online archive of scans

A place to tell us about your work and projects. Self-links encouraged!

Moderator: peterZ

imperialist1960
Number of books owned: 5000

Imperial Club - 100k page automotive online archive of scans

Post by imperialist1960 »

I am a volunteer at the Online Imperial Club.

http://www.imperialclub.com

We are a group dedicated to creating an encyclopedic free online resource for all things regarding the Imperial, built 1926-1993 by the Chrysler Corporation.
The website has been in progress since 1995 and supports a forum cor car owners and online reference material.

Scanned information includes all printed matter pertaining to the above topic, much of it "restored" from period originals which were not always in pristine condition, just like our actual-reality cars are.

All 100,000 pages were scanned to jpeg and then manually straightened, whitened, de-screened, etc in a time before a forum such as this existed.
We have additional material and are seeking someone adept with software who can assist us in automating the processing of the remaining images in our archive.

If you know someone who has the skills to do this, I would appreciate hearing from them.
www.imperialclub.com
100,000+ pages of electrons that salute America's Most Carefully Built Car
imperialist1960
Number of books owned: 5000

Re: Imperial Club - 100k page automotive online archive of scans

Post by imperialist1960 »

The answer to my question was a "Document Scanning Service Bureau".

Found them on Google (they're all over the place).
They do what this list exists to teach one to DIY and will scan for a fee, process scanned images for a fee.
In this case, processing of scanned jpegs will run about $0.02-$0.05 depending on complexity.

Raw scans are processed start to finish at $0.08-$0.12 per sheet via a commercial process using tools that do the loose docs through a high-speed mechanical feeder.

Prices are probably lower in lower cost metro areas (I'm in SF Bay Area, where everything's expensive).
www.imperialclub.com
100,000+ pages of electrons that salute America's Most Carefully Built Car