n00b doesn't know where to start

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

astn

n00b doesn't know where to start

Post by astn »

So, perhaps a few pointers. I've spent a few days 'jumping around' the wiki and forums trying to educate myself enough to determine what my options/best course of action is. There is a literal ton of information here, but it seems like that things are constantly evolving at a high rate of speed and I'm having problems determining what is current/relevant and ultimately "best" (at least for my application). Ultimately, I'm more confused then I started, so I'm going to take the classic n00b approach and beg for help publicly.

I'm interested in a bookscanner primarily as a user. I've done a lot of destructive scanning of the books I was able to, but now I'm down to things that either I can't (or my wife won't allow) tear the spine off. That still leaves a lot of information in non-electronic form, and I've been totally spoiled. I don't mind contributing, but I really just want to scan my books so I can put them on my iPad. I'm not sure if that is a problem or not, but I've seen a number of comments that seem to indicate that's okay?

What is my best option/quickest way to get (nondestructively) scanning? I am an apartment dweller, and I would like to be able to 'hide' this. I'm savvy enough that I believe I can get the cameras/software working (either independently through research or with help). However, the actually apparatus of a bookscanner is the part I don't know what to do about. I do not have access to a shop, nor CNC machine. I am aware of some hackerspaces (including one for-fee place, Techshop) that I could build it at, but haven't done much research into that direction.

What is my best direction to move in? I was strongly considering just trying to buy commercial, until I found out what that costs (particularly relative to the cameras they included).
astn

Re: n00b doesn't know where to start

Post by astn »

I can't find the edit button. When I said "Techshop" for the for-fee place, I should have said "NextFab Studios". Sorry.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

You have access to NextFab? The forum co-founder and admin Rob is a regular member there.
astn

Post by astn »

I 'have access' in that I know which stop on the Market-Frankford Line to get off at, but I have never been there myself. Should I PM Rob (I did see he was local to my area) or might he see this?

Thanks.
cfmorrill
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cfmorrill »

Oooooh, NextFab looks like lots of fun. I believe I would move in if I lived in Philly.

I think the question of where to start is a good one and often hangs me up. I guess in my case I saw Daniel's newest scanner design and just decided no matter what I'm going for it, and I think this is key. I also tried to think of a few people that might help out in case I got stuck, or who at least might serve as a cheering section. A friend of mine once made the point that almost no one does anything alone. And if you think about it, that's certainly true in Philadelphia. Franklin, Rittenhouse, and CW Peale were all geniuses in their own right but used to meet and share ideas regularly at the American Philisophical Society.

So, at the risk of sounding arrogant here, think about working with a team of people who can help out or might know more than yourself and consider going for it.

Regards, Charles, who it should be mentioned, has not finished a scanner yet but is having a good time.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

I'm working with astn in PM.

One thing I should mention is that NextFab does charge per hour for use of certain higher-end machines, such as the ShopBot, laser cutters, CNC mill, and 3D prototypers (the big commercial one, not the MakerBots).

The alternative is the TechShop model, which does not charge for any machine. However, that seems to have resulted in a kind of Tragedy of the Commons, where the machines are booked for months in advance, so it's actually very hard to get access. If anyone is currently or formerly a TechShop member and has other information, please post!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.