Looking for help with registrations and moderation

Just what it says.

Moderator: peterZ

peterZ
Number of books owned: 20000

Re: Looking for help with registrations and moderation

Post by peterZ »

Re ",,,,As for why the site is quiet now, maybe things have changed. In the last few years, it is much easier to buy digital books. Any new book you want can be purchased easily. The quality of the product has gone up also. So maybe there's less incentive to scan. ....."

Maybe, but still lots old stuff to scan , Is my observation
acrophobic
E-book readers owned: Meebok P78 Pro
Number of books owned: 300

Post by acrophobic »

joseph73 wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 17:32 As for why the site is quiet now, maybe things have changed. In the last few years, it is much easier to buy digital books. Any new book you want can be purchased easily.
While it's true, most of digital books usually use DRM which means I can't archive it locally in my storage. So, in practice we don't really own the books and instead just borrowing it from Kindle or Google Play Books. Thanks to this, there is a good chance that the purchased books someday will be gone because it's being pulled out by the publisher or the seller.
peterZ wrote: 06 Jul 2023, 16:14 Maybe, but still lots old stuff to scan , Is my observation
Agreed, there are still a lot of old books to scan, and for hobbyist scanner like me the DIY book scanners are far better than the available consumer grade commercial scanners. For example, Czur ET-24 is sold in my country around 1000 USD, yet the scan quality is quite disappointing.

My point is this site and forum is a treasure trove and still relevant to this day, so I hope it won't be archived.

Regarding the site being quiet, I've searched "book scanner" and "diy book scanner" in Google Trends, and I got following result:
Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 08-37-47 Google Trends.png
As you can see, the search trends between for "book scanner" 2004 until now are pretty consistent, which means people are still as interested with it as back then (I do realize that Google Trends are not really accurate, but it's usually still a good starting point for analytics).

So, could the reasons this forum is being quiet because the home page is pretty outdated? Currently there are several dead links and missing images, which might lead the visitors to think the forum is being dead as well. I do understand that Daniel can't work on this site anymore, so are there any way for people to contribute on fixing it?
Scanexplorer
Number of books owned: 20

Post by Scanexplorer »

I sent an email and now sharing a message here, of my interest to help out with registrations and moderation.

I look forward to being supportive!
peterZ
Number of books owned: 20000

Post by peterZ »

RE "...So, could the reasons this forum is being quiet ......" in response to comment by acrophobic above ....

Curiously, we have about 10 -15 registrations of new users each month and forum stats often show 10-30 forum browsers ....
However its noticable , not much posting from the newly registered users ......
kristi
Number of books owned: 0

Post by kristi »

I've just sent an email as well. I'm happy to help out a bit if I can.

Thanks!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hey, just to let folks know, your messages were well received, I'm going through some life stuff at the moment and will get back to you as soon as I can.