Do we want a camera/optics/photography section?

Just what it says.

Moderator: peterZ

StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Do we want a camera/optics/photography section?

Post by StevePoling »

I figure this thing that we're doing is a mix of software and hardware. But the hardware includes stuff you buy at a Hardware store and/or Lumber yard as well as Cameras and stuff. They're sort of different. Do we want a separate section for cameras, optics, and photography?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Do we want a camera/optics/photography section?

Post by daniel_reetz »

It's been suggested before -- particularly by user fbonomi, who hasn't been around much. At the time, I didn't think it was necessary, but now, I think it might not be such a bad idea, particularly because document photography is (apparently) a field unto itself.

I'll chat with Rob about it soon, maybe we'll move the old threads over there. Now that we have a few more members with considerable photographic experience (happy to see jonwilliamson chime in on Misty's thread, for example) it might be viable.
PocketLibrarian

Post by PocketLibrarian »

I would second this request!

A question regarding this comes to mind, if I may ask in this thread...

RE: Test pattern / procedure for aligning page plane to camera plane.
(using two Canon A590s)

Ideally I would place the book under the platen and have the cameras 'eye-ball' aligned but with a test-pattern on each side of the book could an in camera script 'optimize' the alignment?

Can this be done 'automatically' via servos and software?

Another alternative would be to use some sort of feedback such as when you align your satellite dish for strongest signal from all four corners as the user adjusts the camera in two planes. (using some sort of crude micrometer adjustment such as a 1/4-20 threaded bolt in the camera mount)

I am looking forward to digitizing my entire library and know that I will have many hours in front of the scanner and want to minimize the need for re-shooting pages because of focusing errors.

It would seem that focus should be rechecked every 100 or so pages due the pages change in distance from the camera plane unless the depth of field would be adequate to compensate.

Or am I making this more complicated than I need to :-D

Thanks to Dan and ALL the rest here for your great work!!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

KoulevPrime and I have got the rough beginnings of a camera FAQ started -- as I get a little more free time in the near future I hope to write it up in full.

A few things. Fbonomi and Spamsickle (and others) have found that with cheap, compact cameras, there are a few inches of "slop" in the focal plane. So you can get by with manual focus and never have to check it. We have a lot of threads about this, but not any concatenated together in a useful way at the moment.

You could potentially load a test pattern on the screen of the camera (that's a CHDK/SDM feature called "grids") and print the same pattern on a piece of paper. Aligning the two by looking at the screen on the back of the camera would pretty much seal the deal.

Here's what I have to say, though. Build yourself good, solid camera mounts (or use professional ball-head mounts with a quick release) and you'll only have to go through this adjustment process once or twice, ever. It's a mechanical problem, but not one that requires servos, computer feedback, etc.

More soon.