Attachment upload issue...

Just what it says.

Moderator: peterZ

cday
Number of books owned: 0

Attachment upload issue...

Post by cday »

Attempting to upload an attachment larger in size than the forum size limit fails without producing an error message, and very confusingly opens a new blank posting window, giving the impression that the draft post the attachment was being added to has been lost...

The draft post can in fact be recovered using the back button, but that is hardly obvious.

Edit:

What is the attachment upload MB limit currently?
scann

Re: Attachment upload issue...

Post by scann »

As I see it right now in the ACP, it doesn't seem to be a file size limit for attachments:
maximfilesize.png
maximfilesize.png (14.67 KiB) Viewed 12394 times
how big is your attachment?
cday

Post by cday »

scann wrote:As I see it right now in the ACP, it doesn't seem to be a file size limit for attachments:
maximfilesize.png
maximfilesize.png (14.67 KiB) Viewed 12382 times
It looks as if the ACP setting above is a setting to limit the maximum attachment file size to a value lower than any maximum value set by the forum host...

This link http://support.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=98255 is to a 2008 post on a hosting site but refers to phpBB 3 which is still the current version.

The issue arose when a new forum member tried to upload a 50MB file and then wasn't sure whether it had been uploaded successfully; not surprisingly it hadn't given its size. In a quick test I was able to upload a 3MB attachment but an 8MB attachment failed, so the current limit is at least 3MB and might possibly be 5MB?

When my test upload failed I encountered the following quite serious issue:
cday wrote:Attempting to upload an attachment larger in size than the forum size limit fails without producing an error message, and very confusingly opens a new blank posting window, giving the impression that the draft post the attachment was being added to has been lost...

The draft post can in fact be recovered using the back button, but that is hardly obvious.
That could easily lead to someone believing they had lost the draft they had been working on without knowing why, but I imagine it could be hard to change.

Edit:
Attachment_upload.png
Attachment_upload.png (10.06 KiB) Viewed 12382 times
On another phpBB forum the above error message is displayed when an attachment is too large: whether that is an available phpBB configuration option or is somehow provided by the forum host, I don't know...
scann

Post by scann »

If it's a forum host issue, we'll have to ask Daniel. It seems that this might be a forum host issue, because right now, the size of an attachment is not limited in the ACP, at least from what I was able to see. Not that I know much of forums...