Suggest improvements to the site here.

Just what it says.

Moderator: peterZ

Godisgr8t!

Re: Suggest improvements to the site here.

Post by Godisgr8t! »

Hello Dan,

I'm a kinda a noob at all this but I had an idea. If you could have a Camera topic page link from the index page(like the Hardware, Software, Scan Tailor, etc. links) instead of posts about cameras being mixed in with the other posts in the Hardware page, how would that work? I realize cameras are really a piece of hardware, but in light of their being the "center" of the project(in terms of importance), it may justify their having a separate topic page of their own? It would greatly help those searching for information about cameras. Thanx!

Yours Truly,
Lamar
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hey Lamar, well, we do have a "sticky" thread at the top of the forum where people can ask questions about cameras:

http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=332

The problem is that people are always kind of drive-by questioners with cameras. They'll drop in and say "Look at this camera on sale at wal-mart, is it good enough?" -- it's not a bad question, exactly, but it's not a well-asked question. The reason is that sometimes a cell phone camera is "good enough" and sometimes you need a nice DSLR.

What I'd really prefer that people do is start a build thread. It doesn't matter if you ever finish your build, or even start building anything. What would be great is if people started a build thread specifying their specific goals and materials they want to digitize, their budget, etc. From that, people can help determine what kind of cameras are best.

Still, a camera section is a good idea and one suggested often. I will keep thinking about it for the near future.
Godisgr8t!

Post by Godisgr8t! »

Hi Dan,
I was wondering: did you want me to start my build in the "Master Index"? Or is it okay in the general "Hardware" section? Thanks!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

The (unspoken) convention is to go ahead and start a new thread in Hardware for your own build... have at it!