Can you please give me feedback on a "new" homepage?

Just what it says.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Can you please give me feedback on a "new" homepage?

Post by daniel_reetz »

I have a "new" homepage up here:

http://diybookscanner.org

I'm basically looking for two things:

1. Do you think a talk is appropriate on the front page? I think it might help people new to the project?
2. Does it work in your browser?

Please, the more feedback, the better.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: Can you please give me feedback on a "new" homepage?

Post by rob »

I like it, except I'd put the sentence "Please watch this talk..." in a separate paragraph, separated by whitespace so your eye jumps to it.

It works for me in Firefox on OSX.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
Godisgr8t!

Post by Godisgr8t! »

Yeah, sounds like a great idea to me. Plays fine on my pc with vista sp2/firefox 3.6 though I do have some addons(flash,etc) on firefox. For some odd reason, it took outrageously long to buffer (I have dsl @ 3mb/sec ) don't know whose end the hangup was on though. Cheers! :D
the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Post by the.traveller »

I don't know since when you changed the index page but..
Since last year I couldn't load the site anymore, after a minute Firefox came with an error message telling me that the site was probably busy. So it takes to long to load any information from the website. Maybe this is due to the fact that you have a movie on the front page which is sending information to your visitors, which just takes too long. And because of that the visitor will get an error and just moves on to a better organized website.
I think that since you implemented the new index page your visitor rate fell. You should ask people if they have a proxyserver working in their webbrowser. Or better use a picture from the video and when people click on the picture let the video start in a seperate window in this way nobody will get an error because of loading times.

Just recently I've managed to visit your page again.
My ISP told me to put their proxyserver in the options of Firefox and that did the trick. I now can visit the website again and join the fun.

In case you get email telling that people can't access your website maybe tell them to ask their ISP for their proxyserver information.

PS I have ADSL 8 Mb dl, working with Vista and Firefox
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I haven't changed the video yet, but there is now a link to the Wiki on the homepage.

http://diybookscanner.org/
goyoba
Number of books owned: 100

Post by goyoba »

The link on the homepage for "instructions for beginners" should bring them to the "start here if you're a beginner" post, not an old model which hasn't been worked on for a year. I think this is the most important link on the homepage, and should be sized appropriately.

I also think you should add a "BUY ONE" link on the homepage which will bring them to the "buyers meet makers" page.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

goyoba wrote:The link on the homepage for "instructions for beginners" should bring them to the "start here if you're a beginner" post, not an old model which hasn't been worked on for a year. I think this is the most important link on the homepage, and should be sized appropriately.
Ah, this is a good change. At the time that I created the homepage, Rob's new "start here" post didn't exist. I'll change this.

We'll see how the buy link works out. Not convinced on that one yet.