ISO Destructive Scanning Service

Book scanning methods that involve taking books apart.

Moderator: peterZ

kallampero
Number of books owned: 500

ISO Destructive Scanning Service

Post by kallampero »

Hello DIYBS,

It's been a long time. I just joined a makerspace in my new town, and in discussing book scanning with one of the founding members, he mentioned his need to get one or more books scanned. He wasn't aware that destructive scanning existed, and is fine with the books being destroyed (though he may wish to have the pages and separated binding returned to him). Is there a reliable service you all might recommend, or are one of you in a position to perform this work yourself, and if so, what are your rates?

Thanks in advance,

-Danny
If you see something, scan something. The public domain begins at home.
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Re: ISO Destructive Scanning Service

Post by cday »

If you don't receive any useful responses, you could at least make an online search for businesses offering a book scanning service if you haven't already done so: when I made a test search, there were several including one or two here in the UK...

And if necessary for those that don't mention destructive scanning, ask whether they can suggest anyone who does offer the service, or whether they have a guillotine and might be able to do it.
kallampero

Post by kallampero »

cday wrote: 20 May 2022, 06:25 If you don't receive any useful responses, you could at least make an online search for businesses offering a book scanning service if you haven't already done so: when I made a test search, there were several including one or two here in the UK...

And if necessary for those that don't mention destructive scanning, ask whether they can suggest anyone who does offer the service, or whether they have a guillotine and might be able to do it.
I came here because Googling brought up a number of "businesses" with identical, copied and pasted descriptions, slogans and marketing jargon. The landscape of destructive book scanning companies therefore seemed a dubious place to invest one's money sight unseen. I am posting here so that a reputable company can be named, one with which the membership here has direct experience.
BillGill
E-book readers owned: Calibre, FBReader
Number of books owned: 7000

Post by BillGill »

An individual can do destructive scanning relatively easily. The procedure goes something like this. You may need to modify it for your situation.

1. Assuming a hard back book. Carefully remove the cover and spine using a sharp knife to cut the hinges connecting them to the book block. Skip this step for a paperback, although you can cut off the front and back covers if you want to retain them.

2. Clamp the book block between 2 straight pieces of wood (or metal) positioned as close as possible to the spine. Leave just enough space so that when you cut the spine off you won't cut the off any of the text.

3. Using a fine saw cut off the spine. You need a fine saw so that you will get a smooth cut. I suggest a saw such as the Harbor Freight Warrior (https://www.harborfreight.com/2-amp-var ... 57808.html). This is a cheap one, but plenty good enough for this job. There are many other more expensive ones available.

Now you can run the pages through a scanner with a sheet feeder and have the images you need to continue with the project.

Bill
kallampero

Post by kallampero »

BillGill wrote: 20 May 2022, 13:54 An individual can do destructive scanning relatively easily. The procedure goes something like this. You may need to modify it for your situation.

1. Assuming a hard back book. Carefully remove the cover and spine using a sharp knife to cut the hinges connecting them to the book block. Skip this step for a paperback, although you can cut off the front and back covers if you want to retain them.

2. Clamp the book block between 2 straight pieces of wood (or metal) positioned as close as possible to the spine. Leave just enough space so that when you cut the spine off you won't cut the off any of the text.

3. Using a fine saw cut off the spine. You need a fine saw so that you will get a smooth cut. I suggest a saw such as the Harbor Freight Warrior (https://www.harborfreight.com/2-amp-var ... 57808.html). This is a cheap one, but plenty good enough for this job. There are many other more expensive ones available.

Now you can run the pages through a scanner with a sheet feeder and have the images you need to continue with the project.

Bill
Hi Bill,

While I appreciate your instructions, this requires time, effort, equipment purchases, and image processing which are not in the interest of the person on whose behalf I'm asking. He works for a public defender's office. I don't believe his employer is looking for a person with a sheet feeder and a harbor freight saw, but rather a recognized and respected name in the world of destructive book scanning.

The irony of asking this question on the DoItYourselfBookScanner.org Forum is not lost on me. This isn't what I'd normally come here to discuss. This is a special case. Is this really so obscure of a request? Is there no business out there that offers high quality, turnkey, book to PDF, one-and-done, set-it-and-forget-it, destructive scanning with a handful to plenty of positive reviews?
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Post by dpc »

I am posting here so that a reputable company can be named, one with which the membership here has direct experience.

As you know, this site deals mainly with DIY book scanners and as such the majority the participants in the forums haven't had the direct experience you are looking for. You might try posting a query in the mobileread.com forums or perhaps on Reddit (r/bookscanning, r/datahoarder, r/datacurator).

That being said, if it were me, I'd be looking for some company that was in the US to reduce shipping time/cost as books get a special rate when shipped through USPS (even better if you can physically drop them off). I'd start with https://www.erecordsusa.com. Request a quote and see if they'll scan a single one of your books so that you can judge the quality of their process. They have sample scanned books and other documents on their site as well as client testimonials. I offer you this recommendation not as someone who has used their services, but as someone who is familiar with the process and the caveats. I didn't take price into account. Take that for what it's worth. Good luck.