LATEST - If you had difficulty registering recently please try again now we have found and fixed the problem.

Sawing off book gutters for sheet fed scanning

Book scanning methods that involve taking books apart.
mfmonk
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 200

Re: Sawing off book gutters for sheet fed scanning

Post by mfmonk »

stearn wrote:All the books I have cut up and scanned are either duplicate copies I bought as I knew constant reference would wear out the first copy, or are cheap books picked up off of ebay or in charity shops. I would hate to be without books around me but see this as a way of having the books I need for reference in an easy searchable form saving time so I can read and enjoy the books I don't want to cut up. I also have room to collect more.
I have a similar situation. I am paying 25 cents to $1 for older textbooks and science subjects at library book sales and other outlets (Better World Books). I enjoy being able to learn a topic from 2 or 3 different sources. I have the most math books-at least 7 versions of things like calculus from 1970-2000 which are around $1 each and when I use them I only need about 15 pages out of them, so destroying makes sense. In a perfect world with free storage I would not destroy them. However, the reason most of these books are so cheap is that people just don't have the room to store them.

I also had a project I was working on where I would pull all the indexes from the files and try to make them into a giant database.
tanstaafl.
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: Sawing off book gutters for sheet fed scanning

Post by tanstaafl. »

StevePoling wrote:Is a circular saw the "right tool"? Has anyone tried this trick with a Dremel multi-max or a saber saw?
A circular saw is not the best option. I use a Bosch jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade and get quite acceptable results. See the attached picture.

I scan the images with a Fujitsu fi-6130 at 300 dpi. This scanner will do 30 double-sided sheets per minute or 3600 original pages per hour. I use Infothek scanner software which is immensely configurable to get optimum scans from less-than-pristine originals. Spend your time on scanner setup and you'll save 10 times that amount on subsequent editing.

After scanning and saving to a PDF file, I run the PDF through ABBYY OCR software to make it into an RTF file which I edit in MS-Word to clean up the chapter headings and global search-and-replace obvious problems like run-on dialog (search for quote-space-quote and change them all to quote-paragraph-tab-quote). When the book looks good enough I move it into Calibre and convert it to a MOBI file for my Kindle.

I can do a 400 page paperback book from jigsaw to Kindle in about an hour. This does not include serious proof-reading and spell-checking. If the book is uncomfortably ugly in my Kindle, I'll spend another two or three hours in MS-Word making it look at least as good as an eBook download from Amazon.com.

My collection is now at 3087 eBooks and growing. I also have about 3600 audio books, but that's a topic for a different forum. :)

tanstaafl.
Attachments
Paperback book "de-binded" with a Bosch jigsaw.
Paperback book "de-binded" with a Bosch jigsaw.